Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Got to be a part of another one!!!

jkratz5

My buddy finally got the monkey off his back during second season as he killed his first turkey in 4 years of trying. He decided to press his luck and see if he could kill two in a year and called me up and asked if I would do the calling for him. I am a sucker for these situations as work allows for me to head out whenever and I love the timber during turkey season. Anyhow, we get setup in a sit them out and wait them spot that the two of us know has a ton of birds but tend to head in the wrong direction early in the morning. Anyhow, as we get setup we don't have a bird within 500yds and we are a little frustrated but know if we wait them out they will eventually show up as we see them in this area often. However, the misquitos put a damper on that as they were eating us alive and at 8:00 we decided that we had to get a serious dosage of bug spray or we weren't going to last. We headed for the truck got sprayed up and back out we headed. This is when we noticed two big toms all by themselves on the edge of a distance pasture and we both knew from the layout of the land and the direction they were headed we could get around on them and setup within 100yds if we hurried. So we get to the spot we want to be, and I let out a serious of loud yelps, to instant gobbles and we are on the ground, gun up and ready. I call again and am cut off by two gobbles, the call goes down on the ground as I knew we were in business. Over the next few minutes the birds would gobble every 20-30 seconds as they closed the distance. Finally, I could see a bird about 50 yds. out but he seemed to be skirting our setup. When he got behind a tree I let out some soft purrrs and yelps and a thunderous gobble ripped off from less than 20 yds. (I didn't know it but the birds had split up and one was standing 15yds from the spread, as I was on one side of a monster oak tree and couldn't see in the direction that this bird had come from, luckily my buddy had seen this and had the gun up on him and was waiting for a shot opprotunity). As I tried to determine if I needed to change my pants or not I saw the bird I had been watching turn and come running straight at us, through a gully and then pop up onto our ridge. I was waiting for the BOOM and finally the hammer dropped. When it did I said "shoot him, shoot him again you missed" as I watched a tom run the other direction. My buddy laughed and said he is laying right there, as I was watching the second bird into the setup and still couldn't see the one he had laid the smack down on until I came around from the side of the tree. He had been waiting for that bird to come out from behind another tree the whole time I had been watching the second bird run into our setup. Anyhow, made for a good laugh and an awesome hunt and a great bird for my buddy at

26.5lbs
1 5/8
1 5/8

4534Justin-4th_season_bird_002_Large_-med.jpg

4534Justin-4th_season_bird_004_Large_-med.jpg

Great work, Jarin! Sounds like it was fun (except for the skeeters). Now those dang gnats are kicking in.
mad.gif

[ QUOTE ]
what job do you have that allows you to take off "whenever"? I need that job.

[/ QUOTE ]

Some jobs have great hours, some have great benefits, some jobs even have great pay.........
wink.gif

[ QUOTE ]
Nice work man...what job do you have that allows you to take off "whenever"? I need that job.

[/ QUOTE ]

Still a student and 1/2 time research assitant trying to finish my PhD, half time means 20 hrs a week (yeah right), but I do have an awesome boss who understands my hunting passion and lets me work the hours I want as long as I am getting the research done. I know the real world is going to hurt in a year or two when I finish up and have to get a real job

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
some jobs even have great pay.........
wink.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Is that some kinda joke!!!!!!!!!!!!!

[/ QUOTE ]

I think so, I need to find that kind of job, also with the hours, 100 hours a week is startin to kick my butt. By the way, nice bird!!!

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
some jobs even have great pay.........
wink.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Is that some kinda joke!!!!!!!!!!!!!

[/ QUOTE ]
Just saying it is tough to find a job that has it ALL.

Man,i hope i can find a few desperate birds like that in the next few days..
awsome work and loved the story, sounds exciting
waytogo.gif

Top Bottom