Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Gov tags

like2hunt

PMA Member
From past posts I have mentioned that I don't think non-resident land owners-non-residents and celebrities should share the same preferences.Some talk of how the economy is supported.Non-resdents and celebs come for a week to go hunting and go home.Non-resident landowners not only support the economy but provide habitat and food year around.We to want to see a healthy and well managed herd.THis in itself seperates the group.
I understand that some think the costs of tags should be increased.Price does not effect people who have made millions playing baseball or football etc.It does not hurt the media who seem to have an unlimited supply of funds.Who it does effect is the blue collar worker who has been fortunate enough to buy some ground.
There are legislaters who seem to really like having their name used in the same sentence as those who have become famous for what ever reason.They may even realize some finacial gain -------who knows.Bo Jackson has been able to draw tags 2 years in a row and probably again this year-and he has friends at least the dnr and maybe the legisltion too--nice connection.Sorry I don't see Bo carrying a bucket of corn or building a wind break for the wildlife .I think he might go back home just like the rest of them.Camera men for the "Pro-Hunters" seem to have some preferences also-------now there is a contributor!
I read were we are losing 1.2 millon acres a year to developers and urban sprawl.Someone said 19-20 %f Iowa is owned by non-residents.How much of this is owned by developers and foreign investers who flocked to Iowa in the eighties after a couple of droughts and high interest rates forced alot a farms to sell.How many non-resident land owners actually -----legally-------apply for deer tags?That would be an interesting number.The average person can not afford to buy many acres just to hunt.This is part of the reason outfitters are able to flourish by providing a service more can afford.The number of acres a person owns needs to be put in this equation someplace----I don't know that magic number but I don't think 5 acres and a cabin qualify for much of a preference.When you own for example,an eighty or 160 with some tillable your commitment becomes much stronger.
I had 2 other posts recently--$500 and Big Business.They give some back ground of what I believe.I did receive some good responses and other people opinions.Many were well thought out and helped me understand the other side of the non-resident land owner issues a little better .By the same token I hope some of my thoughts help explain why some of us (at least me)feel the system needs some modifying.

What was the reason you purchased land in Iowa? Was it for hunting or an investment? Why do you find it necessary to hunt in Iowa? Is Illionis not one of the best deer hunting states? Why don't you sell your land in Illionis and move to Iowa if it is so important for you to draw a tag every year? I guess I am fortunate to have land in Iowa, live in Iowa and pay all my taxes, gas, groceries and everything else I purchase in Iowa. If I were to purchase land in another state and already knowing their regs on non-resident landowners, I would live with whatever they have for rules. I guess I am different than a lot of people. My goal in life is not to have the best hunting that money can buy, it is only to be able to live free and be able to enjoy my wife and children and live with what rules are in place.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">What was the reason you purchased land in Iowa? Was it for hunting or an investment </div></div>

This very ? was answered by him on the "$500" thread.

The entire thread is a good read.

Point could be that no matter who owns ground or why the own it- they probably don't need to pass out tags to celebrities or video production companies.

By reading his $500 post it sounds like he bought it for hunting and didn't read the regs on non-resident landowners. Besides he stated he is retired. So what is stopping him from moving to Iowa and living the good life. He has family here and spends time with them.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: pharmer</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Point could be that no matter who owns ground or why the own it- they probably don't need to pass out tags to celebrities or video production companies. </div></div>

Pharmer, I would agree whole heartedly on that.

i agree, goveronrs tags should go away. iowa doesn't need the publicity. but, i disagree, that NR landowners should get preferential treatment. a NR, is a NR and they should all go through the draw.

IDEA....
GOVERNOR TAGS FOR VETERANS COMING BACK FROM IRAQ ONLY.
What do you think????

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> IDEA....
GOVERNOR TAGS FOR VETERANS COMING BACK FROM IRAQ ONLY.</div></div>

or "Make a Wish" type program.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> GOVERNOR TAGS FOR VETERANS COMING BACK FROM IRAQ ONLY.
</div></div>

key word there, ONLY. it would be alot better than the system we have now

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: River Bttm Boy</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> <div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> IDEA....
GOVERNOR TAGS FOR VETERANS COMING BACK FROM IRAQ ONLY.</div></div>

or "Make a Wish" type program. </div></div>

Great Idea.

nrland-owner,
I doubt you will see to many people on here disagree with your point on the governor tags. They make zero sense. But a NR landowner is still a nonresident. Just my .02

How about once you are drawn you are done? Not able to apply for it again. I too agree, make a wish or some other type of program that benefits someone IN NEED...

Tags for Vets is a very good idea-----------they have contributed something you can't put a price on.As American citizens we should always have a place for these troops as well as the disabled and the terminally ill.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">i agree, goveronrs tags should go away. iowa doesn't need the publicity. but, i disagree, that NR landowners should get preferential treatment. a NR, is a NR and they should all go through the draw. </div></div>

/forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/cool.gif

Top Bottom