Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Grain drills

Daver

PMA Member
I am strongly considering getting a different NT drill this year and I am curious what input people here would have. I currently have a pull behind drill that has been mostly adequate, but I am thinking that I want a 3PT model. My tractors are in the 40HP range and therefore I think I would be looking at a 5' wide model, perhaps just 3' wide. While I would prefer the 5' wide model, it is not like I am planting zillions of acres here, so the 3" wide might be a better choice just to be sure that I don't end up with "too little tractor".

I think I am looking for either a Great Plains, a PH G Series or an RTP brand. Durability, ease of use/calibration, parts availability are high on the list of "needs". I don't want to have to be crawling underneath the thing all the time changing out bearings, etc.

Other threads on the subject that I have reviewed are:

IW Thread - Aug 2023

HT Thread - Apr 2021

IW Thread - May 2021

YT Link - Aug 2023 - added

Any new thoughts, suggestions, advice, etc are welcome! TIA.

Last edited:
I have a Truax, its the flex 88 3 pt and there is 0% chance a 40 hp tractor can lift it. I have a 75 hp and its all it can handle. I would say the 6'GP will have the same issue.

Sent from my SM-S908U using Tapatalk

You are going to have to go Rtp lite (now ph) in that HP range.
I think you are correct, do you see that as a problem though? Or would I be better off with a heavier drill, but only a 3' wide variety? Annually, I would be likely to drill 3-4 acre of beans, 3-4 acres of brassicas, a couple acres, max, of milo and 3-4 acres of rye/oats/clover mix. So only 10-15 acres per year and not all at the same time. On top of that, I would likely use it to drill switch...but only 1-3 acres at a time and not even every year...maybe every 2 to 3 years.

I have a RTP 5 lite version and I use it on my 47hp Kobota and its only issue is lifting it. The 3pt lifts it but the tractor is just a little on the light side and definitely feels it, but when the the drill is in the ground there is no issue to speak of.

I think you are correct, do you see that as a problem though? Or would I be better off with a heavier drill, but only a 3' wide variety? Annually, I would be likely to drill 3-4 acre of beans, 3-4 acres of brassicas, a couple acres, max, of milo and 3-4 acres of rye/oats/clover mix. So only 10-15 acres per year and not all at the same time. On top of that, I would likely use it to drill switch...but only 1-3 acres at a time and not even every year...maybe every 2 to 3 years.
Ive used my 5 "lite" on thousands of acres with a 48 HP Deere. I've never had anything it doesn't cut into in Iowa.

GREAT PLAINS / LANDPRIDE!!!!! Mine has 3 seed boxes.. small, large & fluffy (natives)…. Drill is so well made & precise. Built like a tank. Will last for a very long time. DOWNSIDE: price. That’s it. Buying a good used one or finding one on auction be option to get cost down.
I paid $33k for a 10’ pull type with 3 boxes. NEW. Think guys getting quotes $10k more nowadays. If a guy got 5’ or just got 2 boxes- way less. 3 point even less yet.

I have not run the RTP, etc drills. Less $ & I will defer on that as I don’t think I’ve even seen one in person.
I have a truax, case, owned 3 Deere drills. Have a GT drill, TYE & a couple others still. (Maybe have & drills for this or that task & back ups) & out of anything I’ve ever run SO FAR, Great Plains / land pride by a good bit.

I have a great plains 606NT I purchased last year and love it, but I think you may need 50+ hp to be safe..I pulled it with a 60 hp and it did mostly fine .They are definitely heavy and pushed my tractor slightly if I was going down a steep grade between plots.

Ive used my 5 "lite" on thousands of acres with a 48 HP Deere. I've never had anything it doesn't cut into in Iowa.
Is that a Genesis G5? I find where one of those weights 1825 pounds. I would be pretty confident that my 40hp would handle that as the rear PTO rating that I find is 2755 pounds. So even with the drill loaded with seed, I would think that I would have enough beef there to operate it well.

Is that a Genesis G5? I find where one of those weights 1825 pounds. I would be pretty confident that my 40hp would handle that as the rear PTO rating that I find is 2755 pounds. So even with the drill loaded with seed, I would think that I would have enough beef there to operate it well.
Yes sir

Good video. Talks about how the main concern when selecting a drill is weight capacity of tractor. Also talks about how weight distribution of drill matters, the Great Plains has more weight at the back of the drill.

The 3 pt hydraulics are capable of lifting it no problem. Bigger issue is it might pull the front end of the tractor off the ground if using a compact. @IowaBowHunter1983 - Have any issues with this?

Personally, I would not want a 5' Light even with our 50 HP (5000# w/ FEL) compact tractor. Front steering gets pretty squirrely with a weighted disc (touch lighter). Granted I have a few hills..

I think I would lean toward the 3' model personally..

Daver, out of curiosity what are you using currently that you are wanting to upgrade from?
I have a Truax Flex-2, pull behind. It is very SOLID and works, but needs some maintenance to some wear parts for it to work perfectly. I have had trouble getting some seed covered, but I think the issue is fairly easily fixable.

As I near the end of my working career and anticipate some form of retirement in the next 3'ish years...I am consciously purposing to buy my "forever" "fill in the blank" while I still have income to make it happen. :) If I am relegated to beans and rice on a fixed income in the future, I want to be sure I have whatever toy or tool that I want before I can't afford it. :) Kidding, not kidding. :)

The 3 pt hydraulics are capable of lifting it no problem. Bigger issue is it might pull the front end of the tractor off the ground if using a compact. @IowaBowHunter1983 - Have any issues with this?

Personally, I would not want a 5' Light even with our 50 HP (5000# w/ FEL) compact tractor. Front steering gets pretty squirrely with a weighted disc (touch lighter). Granted I have a few hills..

I have a FEL...could I not augment that weight via carrying something in the bucket too...if I have "lift off" problems?

Good video. Talks about how the main concern when selecting a drill is weight capacity of tractor. Also talks about how weight distribution of drill matters, the Great Plains has more weight at the back of the drill.
I have watched that video, a couple of times actually, and I am under the impression that the primary concerns stated relative to the Genesis drills have since been solved via engineering improvements, under the PH brand name, FWIW.

I have a FEL...could I not augment that weight via carrying something in the bucket too...if I have "lift off" problems?

You could definitely weight the front. I’ve done this before in a pinch. Your HP or Hydraulics won’t be a limiting factor.

No but def need a bucket on.

I have Genesis 3 running it on a L4060 Kubota (40HP) works great , 3 years in no problems . It's a easy unit to use . Have had no issues I did not go with a 5 for a few reason I have some Steep Hills to climb so that was a concern . I also didn't want to max my tractor out and beat it to death . I am only doing about 7-8 acres a year so RTP advised me to get the smaller unit and save the 8K . Takes a bit more time but I am not doing huge area's . Then when I look at time I use to use preparing ground by tilling , now I can spray , plant everything in a day .

Planted , beans , alfalfa , clover , double tree mix , switchgrass and brassicas haven't had a fail yet , trying corn this year on 15 inch rows .. It's been a game changer..

I have a Truax Flex-2, pull behind. It is very SOLID and works, but needs some maintenance to some wear parts for it to work perfectly. I have had trouble getting some seed covered, but I think the issue is fairly easily fixable.

As I near the end of my working career and anticipate some form of retirement in the next 3'ish years...I am consciously purposing to buy my "forever" "fill in the blank" while I still have income to make it happen. :) If I am relegated to beans and rice on a fixed income in the future, I want to be sure I have whatever toy or tool that I want before I can't afford it. :) Kidding, not kidding. :)
I have Genesis 3 running it on a L4060 Kubota (40HP) works great , 3 years in no problems . It's a easy unit to use . Have had no issues I did not go with a 5 for a few reason I have some Steep Hills to climb so that was a concern . I also didn't want to max my tractor out and beat it to death . I am only doing about 7-8 acres a year so RTP advised me to get the smaller unit and save the 8K . Takes a bit more time but I am not doing huge area's . Then when I look at time I use to use preparing ground by tilling , now I can spray , plant everything in a day .

Planted , beans , alfalfa , clover , double tree mix , switchgrass and brassicas haven't had a fail yet , trying corn this year on 15 inch rows .. It's been a game changer..

Hold off on the drill this year. Buy some HP this year. Do not need to break the bank to do so. Constantly see good 75 to 100 hp tractors ( old yes but good) on fb for very reasonable $. Your land asset is most likely one of your most valuable. Spend a little $ and protect your assesset and get a tractor capable of doing so. Then next year find a drill made to last.

Top Bottom