Gravity Box(es) full of fish!?!?

D&D Flesheaters

Owner of D&D Flesheaters
So I stopped at a boat landing this past weekend to see how fishing was and I saw one of the damndest things. There were multiple gravity boxes plum full of sheephead and buffalo carp. While I stood there in disbelief, a 4 wheeler drove up with a trailer full of fish. They through the fish onto a conveyor belt, and up into the gravity box they went. A second 4 wheeler came a minute later. At the rate they were hauling fish it was obvious that filling a gravity box wasn't much of a challenge. So we asked one of the guys what they did with all the fish. Only one word came out of his mouth... McDonalds!! I only assumed he was joking, and talked with another guy who said that they hauled them to Chicago, where they were cleaned and sold.

Does anybody else know more about this? Was I handed a line, or do people actually eat sheephead and buffalo carp? It was quite the site none the less... A gravity box can hold a lot of fish!

I don't know what your calling sheephead but buffalo carp is good. Some commercial fishermen have contracts for asian carp. I guess the black asian brings more money. They are shipping to Korea I think.

Sheephead are Freshwater Drum.

Buffalo are the preferred fish for McFish Sammiches just FYI. One of the tidbits I picked up in fish class back in school. They have firm white meat and they are actually quite tasty.

Sheeps are a freshwater drum, as was said silver gray in color. Buffs are not Aisain carp.... The Mirror carp is an Aisain carp similar to the good old carp carp we all know of..... The Red horse is also mistaked as an Aisain carp.... Small body orange and BRIGHT RED fins.... my .02

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: muddy</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

Buffalo are the preferred fish for McFish Sammiches just FYI. One of the tidbits I picked up in fish class back in school. They have firm white meat and they are actually quite tasty. </div></div>

Dammit, I just ate one of those today. I learn a little too much on this site.

Rusty,
The smaller sheephead are very tasty.
Most people will not eat them but my uncle makes a
bunch each summer and it is very good.

ive seen somthing similar to this once.....
at a bowfishing tournament, a local bigtime farmer, took all the days catches, threw them in a grain wagon and he then took them and spread them on his fields......

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> a local bigtime farmer, took all the days catches, threw them in a grain wagon and he then took them and spread them on his fields...... </div></div>

I have read that Native Indians would use a small fish/chub in each hole while planting corn or other crops. One seed and one fish, then cover up. The fish acted as fertilizer for the seed. Makes you wonder why John Deere doesn't make a "Fish attachment" on their planters. /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/grin.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I have read that Native Indians would use a small fish/chub in each hole while planting corn or other crops. One seed and one fish, then cover up. The fish acted as fertilizer for the seed. </div></div>

I tried that when I was younger but the neighborhood cats and coons kept digging up my garden. /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/frown.gif I was burying fish I didn't think were fit for consumption. Who'd of guessed McD's was serving them?! /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/wink.gif /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/grin.gif

my dad was in canada last fall fishing and he talked to a guy there that had a contract with mcdonalds in canada for 20,000 pounds of suckers....guess when there all ground up it is hard to tell what they are. my dad swears by those mcdonalds fish sammiches

Back