Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Gray Wolves in Michigan's Lower Peninsula

blake

Life Member
NEWS:

Tracks of 2 Wolves Confirmed in Cheboygan County

TRAVERSE CITY, Mich. (AP) Wildlife officials say they've confirmed the presence of two gray wolves in Michigan's Lower Peninsula.
Biologists said Tuesday they verified tracks of two wolves that were discovered by a landowner in Cheboygan County.

The landowner actually reported three sets of tracks. Scientists with the Michigan Department of Natural Resources and Environment and the U.S. Department of Agriculture's Wildlife Services Division investigated but couldn't find the third.

But they say this is the strongest evidence yet that a wolf pack may be roaming the northern Lower Peninsula.

Wolves were driven to near extinction in Michigan during the last century but began returning to the Upper Peninsula in the late 1980s. A census last year turned up 577 wolves in the U.P.

The wolves have been in lower MI for at least 5 yrs. A guy trapped and shot one 5 yrs ago in the Onaway/Rogers City area. He thought it was a coyote. The DNRE is going to issue wolf hunting licenses before long.:way:

I agree that wolves have been in the Northern Lower Peninsula for awhile now. 2 years ago, a guy had a wolf in his traps on several occasions over in the Kalkaska area. I hope they do open a season for them...it would be a lottery I am sure but I would be putting in for a tag!

Top Bottom