Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Great Weekend in the field

Horn Hunter

Me, my son, and a couple of friends had a great weekend in the turkey woods

On Saturday my friend and fellow IowaWhitetailer Bofarkle arrowed a great bird, his first with a bow. He will be posting pics and a story soon.

On Sunday morning we headed out again. There were a few gobbles on roost but nothing close. With the wind and cold we were not to sure if we would even see anything but we were there so we continued to sit. At about 8:30 my son and Bofarkle had a group of 5 jakes show up. They stayed at about 20 yds so Bofarkle took a shot and he was tagged out. My son took a shot too but missed. My other buddy and I were a few hundred yds away and around 9:00 we had 2 big tom's come running in to show pretty boy who was boss. As they get close my buddy tells me to shoot first cause I have my bow and he has a shotgun. As the birds are sizing up pretty boy I settled my pin on the neck of the closest bird and let the bullhead fly but I missed. My buddy followed up my miss and dropped the bird that I had missed in his tracks.

Not long after my buddy dropped his bird my son had another jake come in. This time the bullhead found it's mark and only a small piece of skin kept my son from getting his second decapatation of the year.

We ended up with 3 birds and I was the one left empty handed but I did have a shot but missed. Even though I didn't get a bird it was a great day and one of the most fun weekends we have ever had.

The bird that I had missed and that my buddy shot ended up being huge. I don't have any exact measurements but from seeing it I am sure that both spurs are at least an inch and a half, the beard is over 10 inches, and he will weigh over 25 lbs. The most notable thing to me about the bird was the size of his head, it is the biggest I have ever seen on a turkey.

Here are a few pics:

The trio of birds:
picture.php

The difference in head size between one of the jakes and the tom:
picture.php

The size of the head compared to my hand:
picture.php

Nice job fellas! You should have aimed for that big head instead of his skinny neck! LOL! :) It happens. Stick with it.

Top Bottom