Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Green screen - Sorghum

DeerHunter3

Just checked my green screen this past weekend, it is waist tall. It is mostly sorghum...my question being is this kind of short for it almost being August?

Yes. mine is over 10 ft tall. I usually spread urea 46-0-0 when planting mine. It does need some fertilizer.

I can't say for sure, because there are so many different varieties of sorghum, BUT my experience has been that once they put the seed head on, the tend to add some height.

Again, your results may vary, but I would expect it to grow another foot or so...most sorghum strain reach between 4 and 5 feet.

Stay patient, there's plenty of growing season left, and we're into a decent dry spell. Some water and some lowered Kelvin rays (autumn sun) can really change things quickly.

Depends a lot on the variety you planted. Some of the grain sorghum varieties don't get very tall. They are selected to make grain,not cane. If you want screen you need to select a forage or silage variety. They grow huge stalks but not so much grain head.

It is a forage sorghum, I think I planted the mix to thick and the plants have stunted growth. Can I hit them hard with urea and possibly get them taller yet?

Top Bottom