Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Ground blind over standing beans

For those of you who leave standing beans and hunt a ground blind over them...do you have a problem shooting over the beans at all? Our beans have to be 3.5-4' tall and was thinking that could be a problem in a ground blind. Was thinking about building a platform that is about 2' tall to avoid any problems. What have others done?

Pop up? I always have to find a "hump" or hill. Ya- if not able- I'd do platform. Eye level is what- 2-3' sitting down? Lot of beans this year way higher than that.

For those of you who leave standing beans and hunt a ground blind over them...do you have a problem shooting over the beans at all? Our beans have to be 3.5-4' tall and was thinking that could be a problem in a ground blind. Was thinking about building a platform that is about 2' tall to avoid any problems. What have others done?

Have the leaves dropped on your beans? I know with regular RR beans, by the time the stems and leaves drop you are left with about a 24" stalk and beans. Not sure what variety you have planted. I know ours started out at 40"+ but are now down to 2'.

When I was googling redneck hay bale blinds last year I found a guy who built a simple platform on a wagon gear that was just the perfect height. We have stripped the wagon gear down and we are building a platform on it to mount the bale blind on. I am thinking about building a permanent bale blind on it next year using old cattle panel. Nice part about it is we can chock and block wheels on one side or the other to level out uneven ground.

Hunting beans can be a rush as I learned last year. All is quiet and then all of the sudden you hear beans rattling like crazy with a buck chasing does all over the bean field.

Last edited:
Ya- above is great idea. if u r not in pop up- regular blinds and Windows tall enough- could do tall chairs. Wagon blinds, above, building platforms- so much room to tweak em. And if u wanted to build small platform- hour or 2 and get u a smaller one easy. Cheap too.

Put this up by myself over the weekend. Put the blind up with forks on tractor and I was a bit nervous but it's done. (yes, I let the kids have some fun with spray paint!!!). Cemented about 5' into the ground and I'll add earth anchors too. This one did a door that access from underneath and I'll put plywood around the platform so I can get in and out pretty stealthy. Beans are in other direction but I've had this location for years so obviously this blind is here to stay now!
picture.php

We like these. Currently have 4 with a 5th in the works. Just high enough to get over stuff, and love the mobility. We use them for bowhunting turkeys too, and have shot several out of them over the years. If you can find the old wagon/running gear cheap or free, these things are really inexpensive to put together.

NWBuck

Thanks guys. Our food plot runs right up next to a big cornfield. We have the farmer leave 12 rows along the entire perimeter for food, seclusion, and for putting out blinds in it. It is a perfect setup because any northerly wind blows out the cut cornfield behind us and away from the plot. That being said, we brush our blinds into the corn so you can't tell anything is even there. I think elevating the pop up blind 2 feet should work out just fine for our needs.

I made my 1st one so I could move it around in the back of my truck an load and unload by myself. It's about 2' off the ground and boy does that make a difference in your view compared to pop up blind. I also think it was enough to put you a little higher than the straight on eye sight of the deer and made movement a little less noticeable.
Made the next one a little taller and more comfortable to hunt from. Makes setting for 11 hours a little easier no matter what the weather is doing.

Last edited:
Top Bottom