Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Guess the author

JNRBRONC

Chapter 11
Finding Your Best Spot

This chapter is probably going to be the hardest for me to write, because I realize it will upset a lot of people to admit the inevitable truth that, except for unique and very rear situations, limited access is just about the only fair chase way to go about tagging trophy bucks regularly. The leasing issue has got many people fighting mad. It has caused rage, jealousy, insecurity, and downright hatred, with tempers, and friendships parting company. I’m sure many of you reading this chapter will not like what I have to say, even though I honestly believe it is the inevitable truth and the definitive answer to quality hunting opportunities in the future.
Times have changed. I remember when hunters used to have the freedom to hunt various species of big game in the Rockies, Alaska and Canada without legally having to use an outfitter or apply for any permit or special license. Only twenty five years ago, I bought a North Dakota non-resident license over the counter for $30. and enjoyed great hunting there. I also remember when I could fill my gas tank for three dollars.
It wasn’t long ago that a courteous hunter could develop a relationship with a landowner and again access to great hunting with little more than a firm handshake, a holiday gift or time and effort spent mending fences, baling hay or whatnot. Offering farm labor during the off season opened doors. Friendships with farmers are still valuable commodities. Framers are the salt of the earth. For many,
years I gave away turkeys, hams and fruit baskets, fixed fences and baled hay in exchange for hunting privileges. Those were indeed the good old days. Times have changed.
We have to remember that whitetail deer are an adaptable species. They have adjusted to civilization more than any other big game species in history. This ability to adapt is what sets them apart from every other big game animal on the face of the earth. With little more than food, water, and minimal security for cover, the have thrived.
Probably eighty percent or more of the best whitetail habitat in this nation is on private property- farm land. Cash crops attract and hold whitetail deer. Since cash crops are usually grown on private property that is where most deer prefer to live.
As a youngster, I remember roaming just about anywhere I wanted without worry or concern of trespassing. It was great while it lasted, but like I said, the world has changed. Habitat is getting smaller. Farmers, again, the “salt of the earth” are having a hard time making ends meet. Even thought hunter numbers may dwindle on a national basis, more people want quality outdoor opportunities on limited amounts of land. Deer hunting has become a supply and demand situation. At least quality deer hunting has reached that point. Most hunters will pay decent money to hunt out of state but refuse to pay a dime to hunt good ground in their own state. Some complain about having nowhere to hunt while hauling a ten thousand dollar ATV behind a thirty thousand dollar truck!
Let me build a little scenario here to change the subject. I will divide fisherman into two categories; those who like to fish and those who love to fish. I’m not talking about ability nor technique here, but level of interest. With some people, fishing is a pastime; with others it’s a passion. Passionate fisherman travel to find great fishing. Some may
Pursue their interest fairly close to home. Others may even pack up and move in order to reside or spend more of their limited lifetimes near great fishing opportunites. Passionate fishermen go the extra mile to enjoy good fishing. Whether or not the fish are biting isn’t nearly as important as whether the water holds big fish. Other folks stay closer to home, do their angling in public water and catch fish accordingly.
In many ways, fisherman and deer hunters are in the same boat, no pun intended. Levels of interest jump out at us daily. Some magazines represent the type of fisherman who would wear colorful jumpsuits, with patches all over their bodies, electronic depth finders and “play with your fish in the boat” attitudes. Another magazine on the same rack represents fly fisherman. These people take their sport just as seriously, but they care more about how a fish is caught, not the stringer weight or numbers of fish caught. Quality fishing, like quality hunting, has become a supply and demand situation. The first two steps toward management of great fishing are habitat control and selectivity. But there is no catch and release in deer hunting.
Where am I going with this comparison of deer hunting to fishing? Attitude. You won’t find a passionate fisherman standing shoulder to shoulder in some over-fished hole. On the contrary, two passionate fishermen don’t even like to share the same hole at that same time. What does this love lend itself to? Limited access. It is the cause and effect of supply and demand.
Let’s continue using fishing as an example. Lets say a farmer owns three ponds. All three are of equal size, depth and habitat. But in this scenario, the farmer manages each pond differently. On the first pond, he allows free public access. Come on down. Bring your buddies and a big can of worms. Keep all the fish you’re allowed. Use whatever works best. “Let’s rip some lips.” “Just call me Gillcrusher.”

On the second pond, the farmer charges a trespass fee, requests artificial lures with barbless hooks and demands catch and release. The fish here are bigger and more plentiful because the place is fished less and anglers don’t put everything they catch into their frying pans. Not a bad deal, except maybe on weekends.
The third pond is leased by half a dozen passionate fisherman. They don’t all fish at once. They not only practice controlled catch and release but restrict themselves in other ways. The do habitat work, care about things like oxygen levels, trash fish, structure, spawning beds, etc. They manage this pond with a long term lease. Fishing is superb, with lots of big, healthy fish. And it keeps getting better. Sure, they had to call the game warden to prosecute a couple of local thieves who ignored the signs, but eventually word go around that the lessees meant business.
Which pond would you rather fish in? Do you like to fish or do you love to fish? What matters is attitude.
I never did like the idea of paying to hunt deer. I still don’t. But I’m honest enough to admit to myself that if that is what it’s going to take, so be it.
Quality habitat is beyond the point of no return. Unless you buy your own ground (or pond), lease or otherwise somehow limit access, you’ll eventually be fighting over a forkhorn; in a sense standing shoulder to should at the “ol’ fishing hole.”
There are a lot more people who like to fish than there are people who love to fish. There are always more fans than serious players in any activity. And that may be exactly the way it should be. The stone hard reality is, every die-hard football fan cannot make the team.
I used to be on the other side of the fence when it came to leasing prime habitat. I compared it to cancer. I wrote anti-lease articles. Yes, I’ve heard all the tired excuses

from “hunting will someday only be for the rich” to “I’ll have to poach the King’s game” statements. Sure, we used to be able to roam damn near anywhere outside at will, giving little more than a courteous handshake or a friendly smile. That was then; this is now. Free public access to most quality hunting ground is history.
Look at it another way. Farmers are landlords. Most are having a hard time making money. You wouldn’t expect to live in a landlord’s house rent free just because he is your buddy, would you? As a matter of fact, I’ll go so far as to state that if you are not compensating landowner in exchange for hunting privileges, you are using them, no matter how good a friend you think you are. As the old saying goes, “There is no more free lunch.”
We can’t blame farmers. They have been working that ground hard for centuries, trying to make a living doing what they love to do. They pay taxes, deal with harsh weather and hungry bankers, accept whatever price per bushel or pound the consumer offers, and continue to be taken advantage of by a long line of outdoorsmen, almost all wanting something for next to nothing. Farming is the only business I can think of that allows consumers to set the price of their product! Think about that. American farmers need to say “a bushel of wheat is going to cost you this much this year.” Instead, they allow the government, the system and the consumer say, “We’re only going to pay you this much per bushel this year.” If you can’t see that the American farmers and ranchers are being abused by now, it’s time to open your eyes.
Farmers and ranchers already understand leasing concepts. They willingly lease farming and grazing rights from each other. They don’t expect their neighbors to borrow their land in exchange for a fruit basket or some fence mending. They want and need money to run their business

and pay bills. No, they do not own the wildlife, but they are the landlords and they deserve rent as well as respect.
Hunters continue to expect a free ride. Many of you are, in a sense, hitch-hiking cross-country, unwilling or unable to help pay for gas. Complaining about gas prices won’t help. Along the same lines, buying a plane ticket is not “just for the rich” any more than quality hunting is becoming a “rich man’s sport”. You can walk, ride, drive, or fly. The last option is not reserved only for the wealthy people.
Here is another argument for controlled access. I have a friend who took his son hunting for several years on public ground, trying to pass on his love of our sport. They enjoyed minimal success and saw very little game. The youngster eventually took up golf. Several years later, this same guy took his same son to his new lease, where they enjoyed great hunting together as father and son. Today the kid is a passionate hunter as well as a golfer. Why? The answer is obvious. According to statistics of hunter success, the first five years are critical to hunter retention. The quality of the experience is a direct reflection of interest. Sure, the sunrises are just as pretty on a public area, but privacy is worth something there too. It has real value. Woods that sound like a war zone are just noise pollution to my ears.
Many golfers will continue to stand in line every Saturday morning at public courses. Those who really love the game- those who are sick and tired of the negative aspects of public golf- will pinch dollars and willingly pay whatever it takes to enjoy the privacy of a limited access golf course or country club.
I want to hunt quality deer far into the future and although I’m far from a rich man, I’m willing to pay for it. I want to see other people experience the love, follow counsel, and share my passion.

This entire idea of limited access is very beneficial to the deer herd. If we are going to manage the resource, we must remember what is best for the deer is not necessarily best for all deer hunters. As a “passionate deer hunter”, I think of it as an investment. Outfitters are not prostitutes. Booking agents are not pimps.
My advice to all passionate deer hunters is to secure long-term rights to your own piece of private ground while there sis still some available. Even blue-collar guys can afford great habitat if they look hard enough and invest their time and money wisely. No, money doesn’t buy everything, but, eventually, every serious deer hunter has to ask how badly he or she wants a quality hunting experience.
Aldo Leopold, considered by many to be the “Father of Wildlife Management,” was more than half a century ahead of his time in much of his outdoor philosophy. As early as 1930, he insisted on compensation to landowners in the form of fees. He suggested clubs that allow limited access in an effort to contain crowds and keep quality outdoor experiences enjoyable. Leopold also suggested that hunting in the future would be best limited to bows and arrows or other short-range tools.
Land values are escalating. Because of recreational value, non-tillable land that was all but worthless thirty years ago in now more desireable than tillable black dirt.
We are witnessing a battle from sportsmen who feel their freedoms are being threatened. The type people who opposed hunting seasons, bag limits and hunting licenses a hundred years ago are the same sort of folks who are fighting tooth and nail now. No one likes change.
This entire limited-access concept quickly reflects the same interest any quality control requires. Opportunities to hunt free-ranging, fair chase, trophy whitetail bucks are definitely becoming limited. Why? Deer are a valuable

natural resource. A rancher or farmer should not be expected to allow free access on his private property to cut down a mature oak tree for no compensation just because you promise to plant an acorn to replace it. There is a vital time element as well as value.
We are into a new century. Outdoor recreation now has a price. I recommend we compensate our landlords while we gain their trust and friendship. As in many other modern interests, you’ll have to pay in order to play. State-wide deer seasons open to one and all and unlimited access to public ground are geared toward quantity rather than quality resources. For some folks, that will be good enough; for others, situations will never be as ideal as they could be. It is time to move forward. There is no longer any free lunch when it comes to trophy bucks living on private property. Like many of the finer things in life, you will get exactly what you pay for regardless of the fact you might feel you deserve better.

Bronc,

Very well written and absolutley on the money. This exact scenario occurs in different places at different times. In my home state it happened many years ago, and now it is happening in Iowa. In PA we pooled our money and bought hunting land, we had to, or we would not hunt. Years prior one could walk an entire day over hundreds of acres without fear of trespassing, like you mentioned, that changed.
Hunting has changed from a necessary activity to put food on the table, as viewed by our fathers and grandfathers, to an entertainment comodity with a increasing price tag. I'm not saying the change is a good one, but one has to realize the change and find ways to obtain quality hunting, the hunting landscape is continually shifting.

I knew when I read the title this is out of Gene Wensel's book "Come November". This book is one of my many favorites.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Big Shooter</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> This book is one of my many favorites. </div></div>

Why?

No idea on the author but some interesting points made. Times certainly have changed, but I don't necessarily agree with the thought that public ground offers low quality hunting. Around home in Wisconsin I wouldn't be caught dead on public ground during gun season, but if you look at the other seasons of bow and muzzleloader even the small and limited number of public areas around my home produce some great deer every year.
Leasing is all fine and good, but I've heard too many horror stories about guys managing their lease to the point where the hunting really gets good and then someone else comes in with a fatter pocketbook and outpays the previous leasee. I think that's been a huge source of the anamosity towards the "pay to play" movement.
Just some of my thoughts.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: JNRBRONC</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Big Shooter</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> This book is one of my many favorites. </div></div>

Why? </div></div>

Many reason's. Have you read the book?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Big Shooter</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> Have you read the book? </div></div>

Yeah and I don't think I learned anything that would make me a better hunter after reading it and that was my motivation for buying the book.

It is a great book, well..... at least until that chapter.....

I always found the dad and kid story amusing. I think of myself when younger and wonder how my outdoor career would have progressed if local landowners had there places leased out.

Ya know you can't let a kid in there to shoot some rabbits or squirrels, those horns might get bumped across the fence.

I read the book when I didn't have years of hunting knowledge to go from already and I think there are many good points made in the book. Although I may have over exagerated a little, I think it is still worth reading once. The pictures in the book and the points of view are worth keeping the book in my collection. I'm sure if you don't want your copy someone else on this site would take it.

There is a catch though. As demand for leases became the norm here in Ga prices shot through the roof and has priced me out of the game for the most part. Now if I want quality land to hunt I have got the pay $1500 or more on a private lease. Its a crying shame when you get priced out of your own state.

As a NR I dont mind playing by the rules. I hope Iowa wises up and keeps the limited access so that there is a still a good piece of whitetail territory left to hunt.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: BuckStop</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
As a NR I dont mind playing by the rules. I hope Iowa wises up and keeps the limited access so that there is a still a good piece of whitetail territory left to hunt. </div></div>

Buckstop,
With that being said would you as a non-resident please write some of or constituents and let them know that??

Thanks for your help.

I agree with some points in the article.

Only thing that struck me, if that's WENSEL'S BOOK- isn't he part of Friend's of Iowa???? I see friend's of Iowa trying to do the exact opposite of what the above article/chapter is advocating!!! If that's the case- this is very hypocritical.

Otherwise it was a good read.

**If anyone would like me to explain why I feel it's hypocritical, let me know- i was trying to not be too long winded.

you know what guys, it is what it is, when i was a young man , i to was able to roam and hunt where i pleased,now, i hunt where i can! public, private, wherever. depending on what state you live in, and community, most farmers will still let you on, why, because they know as well as we do, that the population of Deer has exploded, and they are tired of the deer eating up their paycheck.one farmers ground i hunt, lets me do what i want, i dont lease, i can do food plots whatever.i offer my services throughout the yr, and he takes it if needed, and i always remember him at x-mas.as for public ground, the big bucks are there ( just easier to hunt them before the slugs start flying). those deer wont leave their santuary,you just need to hunt them smarter,they have a home core area and they are not going to leave it, we as hunters need to HUNT them as the season progresses.these big bucks dont age by mistake.i seen a big 160 class deer bed down in some thick stuff, on public ground, i knew by the wind , i could not get to him so i set up on a high bluff late afternoon knowing he would come out to feed before dark.45 minutes before dark, a group of hunters walked thru this thicket, these guys walked within 10yrds of him, and he didnt move! they continued on but by the time they were finished, it was to dark to see him.so i know , you can hunt public and kill big deer, things like this on this night messed up my hunt.not saying i would have got him, but the way id set up, and if they woudnt have came thru, i may have had a shot , and thats all i can ask.bottom line is, big Deer , live on state ground.
as for leasing,i hunt 80 acres in southern ia, the ground all around me is leased from hunters out of state that dont do anything with it all yr! they just show up aroung the first week of november and hunt it. now if i were leasing, wouldnt you spend time on food plots ect?if you can afford to take hunting land away from the resident hunters, atleast be there throughout the yr and maintain it .these hunters are from Alabama, South carolina,ect, are you telling me that they cant buy land down their and properly raise food plots and maintain it so they can have big bucks down there?The way the economy is going, we hunters need to do whatever we can to secure this land for ourselves, before its bought up by a bunch of excutives from out of state.If you want that peice of land, youll find away to secure it i hope.Get a small group of friends you trust that hunt to go in it with you . a farmer north of us leased all his ground to a guy that started his own outfitting buisness, what a joke, he raised fees so high, no one would hunt , the farmer made out for a while but realized later what a mistake he made when the guy couldnt meet the payments, and the farmer broke the lease.the bottom line is we, as hunters, need to secure our land we hunt. most cant afford to lease, so, hunt smarter on public, if want to lease, do it wisley.

How does Wensel define being a rich man?

The comparison to fisherman is completely bogus. The majority of guys that come here and lease aren't here because they are truly passionate, it is because they have a bunch of money and think they can impress their rich city buddies with killing a "big Iowa buck"

It sounds to me like Wensel is fearing some of the same things that most of us in Iowa are fearing. The difference is he folded before it was necessary (if it ever is necessary), and because of his influence and money he is able to have ground to hunt until he dies.

Do you think he really cares? What would his opinion be if he didn't have some of the best ground in the state to hunt? He's not in the same boat as most of us, whether he thinks so or not.

What does golf have to do with being a hunter?

I'm sure the guy is decent enough, but writing that just makes him part of the problem.

I've read this before. Without a shadow of a doubt it makes me want to puke.

I could write a response as long as the original post from Randy but won't. I talked to my dad last night, he dropped down a pretty good chunk of loot on a new hopper bottom bin, a new binsweep and a new auger, the kind you move with hydraulics. He nor any other famrer/rancher I know would expect a nickel to access his property. I'll take 6 months of winter, isolation at times, expensive gas liquor and tobacco products and sharing all of the property I hunt with a varying number of people over this. Though I never found any sheds yesterday I had a good visit with a friend/landowner, also got a hot cup of tea and some home baked goods, didn't cost me a penny.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> There is no longer any free lunch when it comes to trophy bucks living on private property</div></div>

Sure there is....there's also free beer in the house of the landowner before or after he helps you load your buck. Trsu me, been happening for years to me. "Free Lunch"...I hate that quote.

I don't get the fishing analogy either. If you are a truly passionate fisherman you need to lease a farm pond to catch big fish? I don't think so. I suppose that if you want to kill big bucks year after year you have to lease several hundred acres, post armed guards to keep poachers out, and plant several hundred dollars of food plots every year. I would love to have the income to do that, but I don't, so I guess I will continue to build relationships with the farmers where I live, and only kill so so bucks with an occasional good one.

I could have wrote that entire piece in a lot less words, "Money talks, and the rest of us just have to make do."

I agree with kam85,
are these hot shot tv stars paying the landowners what its worth to hunt or fish their property?why cant these guys buy thier own land, put in i pond, food plot where they live and make a show off of this?Ive got to the point where i dont even watch these shows. if your a hunter, you dont need some guy from OUT OF STATE, TO TELL YOU HOW TO HUNT AND INSULT YOUR INTELLEGENCE.what, theyve been here a week, paid the property owner a chunk, and all of the sudden, their experts on hunting our game? the hunting we do comes from the basics- wind ,stand placement, food sources we dont need anyone telling us what we already know.im not saying these huntrs arnt smart, what im saying is, if we would treat our local farmers with alittle respect, pay them somthing or lease their ground, we wouldnt have these hot shots coming into our turf! let these guys come in and hunt public ground, no fancey blinds, and see how they do.one farmer that has let me hunt for yrs, every year, the next yr, somone pd the farmer to hunt from out of state. he told them i was hunting, didnt matter, they cut fences, and everything they could do to make it easier for them, they didnt care, that small lease lasted a short time, one and done! a portion of these hunters dont care about your property, and they figure if they've paid for it , its theirs., its not !. you still need to ethicaly hunt as if it were your property.just dont show up from out of state and think you can do what you want.Heres an idea,Start your own food plots, do somthing to make your state what we;ve done to make ours what it is. and bring your leases back to your home state.and when you do figure it out,im coming to your state to hunt!

I'm not much of a reader of long posts, especially quotes by a hunting celebrity, so I didn't read the original post that began this thread. I did read Kaare's post though, and, as usual, I like the way he thinks. Kaare, unfortunately, if you lived in Kansas, more than the article would be making you puke. If I was still single, I'd be heading North -- I just don't think the Mrs. could take the cold and distance from family...

So am I reading this right. He said that passionate fishermen are going to have to pay for good fishing or else they are going to be standing shoulder to shoulder in the Ol' Fishin hole. Uhhhhhh? ok?

Look at the people fishing on T.V. trying to make a living traveling around the world fishing. They fish because they love to fish and they are good at it. I highly doubt they lease and manage their own lake. I know that article was his own opinion but he was WAYYY off on it.

The article was true in some aspects. But a few caught me off gaurd. I guess he warned us though. /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif

Top Bottom