Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Guide School

sims8ball

Looking to head to guide school somewhere next summer/fall, anyone have any suggestions on where to go or research?

Been my dream to do this for about 3 years and I would like to finally do it, any help would be appreciated!

Not sure if you want to take this course but Talk to some guides up here in AK and see if they will help. You would be in the field for 30 days as a packer, and then you obtain your assistant guiding liscense, you will need to do that for three years and so many days then you will become a guide and can have your own clients. Its a route to take and its all in the field plus you will be getting paid...
shrug[1].gif

Agood friend of mine went to one in wyoming. Not sure of the name. He guided elk hunts for 5 years. One of his clients offered him a job in texas and now he takes care of this guys 3800 acres of private hunting ground. Keeps feeders full, fixes fence, more like a rancher then a guide. When the guy who owns it wants to hunt he has to take him out and does all the guide stuff. He loves it. Ill try to find out the name of the school.

I also had a buddy go to guide school, this one was in Montana. He loved it, guided elk mostly and learned quit a bit. I will give him a hollar to see if I can get the name of it.

Be very cautious. Research the outfitter well and ask for entire class lists of previous students and not just the buddies that they use as references. I speak from experience on this one. Some of these outfitters use the students as labor that paid to be there. Along with my guide school I took a corespondance course through Erv Malnerich -sp? and I beleive that he was out of Montana. He actually contacted me several years later about the rip off school that I attended as he was no longer endorsing them for his courses. Erv seemed credible and would be a person to contact for a place to start.

The good news is the outfitter that put on the school that I attended is out of business so you don't have to worry about him but rest assured that there are many more just like him. PM me if you would like more information on what you should expect from your guide school.

Good luck!

Bowman

I attended this guide school about 2 yrs ago. Big Sky Packer & Guide School
Phone: (406) 847-5593
PO Box 390
20 W. Elk Creek Road
Heron, Montana 59844

Had a great time and job placement is 100% pending you pass the course. I would have loved to go into guideing but that month away from the kids was a killer and chose not to enter that proffession. However wouldn't mind finding a place that needs looking after that i can have my family right with me to enjoy the same things i do. If you have any questions you can pm me. Good Luck
smile.gif

Top Bottom