Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

gun season and pressure

JPS

Hello Everyone, this is my first season hunting in Iowa (just became a resident). But I lived and hunted in Michigan for many years.

The last 3 weeks of bow season I was out and I was amazed at how low the pressure is in public land (Boone and Dallas counties). Not sure what to expect for the gun opener on Saturday.
Is the orange wave to be expected? :)

I have never hunted in Michigan, so I cannot say how Iowa would compare. But you will see others out and about during the gun seasons here in Iowa on public land. If per chance there was some overlooked public spot here in Iowa, no one is going to admit to that on a public website. :)

That doesn't mean that you cannot be successful here in Iowa, but you should be prepared to see others and then deal with that in some form. Really nice deer are taken every year on public here in Iowa and for those that really work at it, it is not uncommon to have good success every year. Good luck.

Reactions: JPS
Michigan born and raised. Iowa resident for almost a decade now.

Iowa residents have no idea what pressure is. It is nothing like the michigan opener. Not even in the same stratosphere

• Haha
Michigan born and raised. Iowa resident for almost a decade now.

Iowa residents have no idea what pressure is. It is nothing like the michigan opener. Not even in the same stratosphere
It is brutal in MI public. Yet, this past 15th of Nov. I missed the opener back there.
What an experience... I have a few colorful stories of opening days on public land close to Lansing

Another Michigan to Iowa migrant. Michigan opener on public (at least in the lower peninsula) is much more crowded than Iowa. However in Iowa you are likely to have groups do a drive through public that is not likely to occur in Michigan.

Thanks everyone

The bucks and deer movement that I've seen in daylight so far on public (all out of bow range, so far) have been impressive.
I am excited to be out and grateful for the opportunity to hunt. I'am planning to stay all Saturday out and move spots if it gets too crowded. The idea of a deer drive on opening day is new to me :) but I will try to adapt, be safe and have fun.

Good luck to everyone.

I used to find the most out of the way places I could and let people push to me. Realize that if a group ppushesby you there's still a great chance for deer to backtrack or kick around the pushers. Head on a swivel and be safe.

1983 is correct. Saturdays opener compared to Michigan, Wisconsin , New York, Pennsylvania is not comparable. You’ll see enough people to move deer but nothing like you’ve experienced in Michigan. Like everyone has advised get in a timbered pinch point and wait. You’ll see deer and get a chance! Good luck.

I don't hunt public and hunt sw part of the state, but I see less hunters out and about first season than I use to. I know several who use to hunt 1st went to second due to the extra days.

Make sure you have plenty of orange on being on public and a big tree to sit or lean against for a backstop. Go deeper than most people will want to walk.

If I ever stop party hunting, (pushing and posting), shotgun season, I'll setup camp and be sitting an hour before sunrise, on a natural funnel with a well used trail, between two larger patches of timber.

The problem with going deep on public is people come from the private, so you might hike a mile or two, but they might only have to go a quarter mile to get to you. It's not so much a problem for bow, but it happens a lot during gun season.

Sent from my SM-G973U1 using Tapatalk

If I ever stop party hunting, (pushing and posting), shotgun season, I'll setup camp and be sitting an hour before sunrise, on a natural funnel with a well used trail, between two larger patches of timber.
Thats some smart thinking. Im gunna do 2nd shotgun and late archery on some public ground maybe if i use that advise ill get a successful harvest

This is exactly what I did yesterday and today. I did not get a shot, but I saw deer running from the river bottom to timber, but they were out of range (300 yr or so). I posted in one place each day, deer went through alternative funnels every time. It was just (bad) luck. But I had fun (although I almost froze solid on Saturday).

As for pressure (the reason why I started this thread) it was SO LOW. Maybe too low (I don't complain!) as a couple more hunters may have pushed the river bottom harder. I saw two other hunters, I was the single car in the parking lot and the first shot I heard was 15 min. after legal light. And this is a place close to the city, so I was surprised by the low pressure.

I enjoyed being out and learning the lay of the land.
For second shotgun season I can't hunt, but I will likely drive around the parking lots to have a better idea of pressure. And I will come back during Muzzleloader season with a doe tag to try and put meat on the freezer.

Happy and safe hunting everyone!

Top Bottom