Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Gun Season Brings out the Worst

Trapshooter1

Have owned my farm for a little over 12 months. And sat quite a bit on my farm during the 1st gun season. Had the same gun group walk the entire border of my farm,(Borders are just AG fields with no cover) and my neighbors farm trying to wind the deer out.........to push to their standers.... I was seeing really good deer numbers before the gun season. Ever since, lucky to see 5 a night, at very last light. Used to like the guns seasons...now not so much.

Good luck with that, at my dads farm we have same thing happen. He called the neighbor and said something to him about it but he just told him he doesn’t own that side of the fence. Guess he’s right but still a d*ck move.

At least they are only doing that- sucks but could be worse. I have guys driving four-wheelers and trucks across the neighbor's field, revving up, whipping donuts. They leave their orange in a different vehicle because they aren't hunting then. Last year they sent a kid to walk through and "follow blood" thinking that it was going to be ok (there was no blood, kid was carrying gun). This year all I heard as well, trucks flying up and down the roads, braking, shooting...I couldnt see what was exactly taking place, but from the sounds I could sure assume. I know shotgun has some deep roots, but I wish there was a way it could change a bit. I used to shotgun for a lot of years, so not against it by any means, just something has to give right? I think since party hunting was big and until now, how much cover have the deer lost? Just tough on them I guess

Ever watch "There Will Be Blood"? Great line toward the end of the movie. "I drink your milkshake!"

That's what this post reminded me of.

Do you know your local CO or anyone that patrols your county. Sounds like they could use a good lesson in ethics from law enforcement. Talked to a buddy of mine that is a CO said he sat and watched a group through spotting scope for 45 min on sat. Some are willing to do it and put in the time it takes.

I hunted first season with a group last year and again this year. When I was 16 I shot my first deer during shotgun hunting by myself on public and then switched to archery and had not hunted deer in Iowa with a gun since. Last year was the first time I had party hunted. First time I had ever been part of deer drives. A buddy invited me and some other guys our age to join the group he has hunted with for years. The original group is made up of some guys starting to get up in age and some can no longer hunt and push like they used to, some no longer hunt all. I was happy to go and had fun. Overall a great group and ethics etc all done correctly. Hunting safely, tagging/reporting correctly, and everyone having a good time. The comradery was great after each push and having lunch etc back at the house between drives. I had a great time! I enjoyed being a pusher and exploring new ground and hiking through the woods. Last year I did not shoot anything, this year I got my first ever drive deer. Both easy shots, doe at at about 20 as I pushed and buck at a mere 5 yards as I hid behind an oak and slowly trotted by without a clue I was there. I am glad overall I am with a good group, I take safety very serious. One guy did have me shaking my head multiple times though at some of the things he did. Im still shaking my head it.....and it really has me torn on wanting to go again.

Whitetail Drive by Jack Paluh. Been an effective deer hunting method for hundreds of years gun or bow.

Attachments

• 1EDE79C6-BD7F-4E2B-8F97-3E2B70FB896B.jpeg
    1EDE79C6-BD7F-4E2B-8F97-3E2B70FB896B.jpeg
    116.1 KB · Views: 79
  • Deleted by Hardwood11
  • Reason: Add
Show…
@arm the worst in people's ethics. I see it every gun season across the two states I hunt: people crawling down the roads, trespassing, taking unethical unsafe and even illegal shots. Let's be clear: these aren't hunters, these are poachers. I'm not saying ALL archers are upstanding citizens, but the scumbags come out during gun season and that's plain as day.

I hunted with a different group, on different land this year. (Changed things up on the 34th year, LOL.) Unintentionally parked on the wrong side of a shared field entrance and was greeted by an angry guide and the DO with one of the worst reputations in the state.

I took my ass chewing from the guide until he'd repeated himself 19 times. On the 20th, I was done. The LEO immediately started fishing with questions that didn't pertain to the hunting season, or my possible tresspassing infraction, and I don't play that game. Were we not wanting to do one more drive, I would have gotten into a thorough pissing match with the DO.

Things have sure changed over the years. No harm used to = no foul. $$$ has just about ruined this hobby.

In reply to a couple of the comments
(I have no problem if people hunt legitly, and not doing shady things to hunt deer)

I do not own the deer, but I own the farm the deer live on, I pay the taxes, I invest time and money into food plots for the deer. I spend time creating thickets and establishing habitat for the deer.

So when the weekend warriors show up, and try to wind the deer out of my property, or drive right by me when I'm on stand. It is darn frustrating.

Here is one for you.. and im quite excuse mr language but pissed the hell off. Today yes opening day 2nd gun season. I made it out early to a place close to home Browns Lake/Bigelow Park. I am solo no group. I snuck out into sone cover between two fields and a nice doe came within range i took my shot. Bam started to follow the nice blood trail and i heard 3 more shots i found my doe. Next to a group of guys and they were happy said they snuck up on her and popped her in the head i said noo look at the blood trail and i shot her. They started to get aggressive so i said fine take it then thats one less tag for you guys. I walked away and drove to a different spot.. what a bunch of assholes. And if youre on this site and read this i hope you feel good.. oh and as i left i whistled and yelled rhe whole way back to my truck.. hope you guys didnt get anymore deer.

Caught them on camera pushing one of my farms but wasn't able to identify them. Too bad because I'd love to catch them just one time.

Here is one for you.. and im quite excuse mr language but pissed the hell off. Today yes opening day 2nd gun season. I made it out early to a place close to home Browns Lake/Bigelow Park. I am solo no group. I snuck out into sone cover between two fields and a nice doe came within range i took my shot. Bam started to follow the nice blood trail and i heard 3 more shots i found my doe. Next to a group of guys and they were happy said they snuck up on her and popped her in the head i said noo look at the blood trail and i shot her. They started to get aggressive so i said fine take it then thats one less tag for you guys. I walked away and drove to a different spot.. what a bunch of assholes. And if youre on this site and read this i hope you feel good.. oh and as i left i whistled and yelled rhe whole way back to my truck.. hope you guys didnt get anymore deer.
Sad, and for a doe !

Top Bottom