Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Gun seasons

Rutty

New to gun hunting..... always been a bow hunter but am going to try 2nd season shotgun and muzzleloader this year. I know during late season afternoon sits over food are your best bet. I have a lot of land that i am able to hunt so i am not worried about burning out farms. How many of you guys hunt mornings during 2nd season shotgun and late muzzleloader? I know a guy can get lucky and shoot one in the morning but do you guys see much for mature buck movement in the mornings during 2nd shotgun and late muzzy on natural movement (not being pushed)? Have a little one at home so want to make the most of my hunts. Just curious as to what you guys observe that time of year for mature buck movement in mornings. Thanks

Same here. Evenings. We have killed mature ones in am. It’s rare though & I wouldn’t do it unless had one on am daylight pattern. Do more harm than good UNLESS u literally have lots of bucks to hunt, back door entrances, so many spots that don’t matter if blow up AND.... have energy to do it late season. I admit - my am Alarm late season doesn’t go off anymore for am hunts. Cold evenings if limited. Plenty early if ground is low pressured. Good luck!!

Last edited:
We sit all day due to expensive tag, and limited time to hunt... we have shot:

3 bucks

8:30... 6 year old busted up buck ..he was scent checking ridge

2:00 164 inch buck chased in by neighbors

4:20 Wide 8 coming out to food

We sit all day due to expensive tag, and limited time to hunt... we have shot:

3 bucks

8:30... 6 year old busted up buck ..he was scent checking ridge

2:00 164 inch buck chased in by neighbors

4:20 Wide 8 coming out to food

Oh- I forgot..... if you got drives around u... ya, I’d sit all day!!! I remember hunting a farm bordering “world war 3”. Two or even 3 groups in a day and they sounded like the Russians moving in on Berlin in WW2 if I could imagine a historical comparison. 1st couple hours - pretty boring. About 10 am artillery was banging off like crazy - piles would flee in for cover. Stayed like That in waves til it was over around 3. I heard slugs zinging through air and trees but I did make it out alive and those years on those farms- yep- all day was action packed.

I have deer drives around my place too. If there is food and cover, I stay out. I pull cams when late season starts and there is twice the normal population. I feel like Schindler opening a factory in Poland. Evenings for sure. But also notice that deer have to eat and will step out for a snack throughout the day. I wouldn't say mid day is a waste. If you have food extra close to cover, there ya go.

Why deer go back to places that get pushed multiple times a day for 3 weeks is beyond me. Anyone know? I guess maybe pushed between properties?

Evenings are best, but I hunt the late season and I will definitely hunt mornings. We've had some good encounters with bucks heading to bed shortly after light. Similar to hunting mornings in October. As Sligh said, just don't be dumb about it (access is key) and you'll be fine.

I'l echo Lyon and Sligh. Evenings are best but there have been occasions where the deer were traveling a long ways from food to bed and we could catch them in them coming back every morning if we desired and access was simple because they weren't feeding nearby. Every situation is different. Take the time to scout and let that dictate how you hunt

If you are near property that is going to be driven - I would sit all day. We are in the stand from dark to dark, we don't drive deer & you would be amazed at comes through your woods when everything around you is getting pushed. Deer will pile up & collect where it's quiet & spend more time near you. Most parcels around us get pushed 2X a day, you may get a shot at a big guy that you weren't able to earlier that day. And honestly, I've seen many more big bucks during 2nd season than 1st season, all hours of the day. Pack a lunch & stay in the stand - all day.

Did I read it correctly, you plan on hunting both 2nd shotgun AND late muzzleloader? Doe tags I assume? You cannot get statewide tags for both seasons for any sex. Most of what has been said though is spot on, if stuff is being pushed, make sure you are out there close to where they are pushing. If nothing is getting pushed, take your time and be out in the afternoons.

I am well aware of laws..... thanks for the clarification. Not only can you get doe tags but there are also something called landowner tags when you own land.

Shotgun season I sit all day due to deer getting pushed around by other hunters. Late ML I usually opt for early afternoon in the blind until sun down but if you get one of those mornings after a good weather change I've done ok getting there early and watching the sun come up,

LOT tags u could get tags (doe or buck if u choose to use it there) for both shotgun seasons. Then statewide ML season obviously. Which u guys figured out or know obviously.
Late ML is a lot of fun just cause the deer drives have stopped (usually) and it’s quiet & hunting deer’s natural patterns again. I really look forward to late ML on cold afternoons.

LOT tags u could get tags (doe or buck if u choose to use it there) for both shotgun seasons. Then statewide ML season obviously. Which u guys figured out or know obviously.
Late ML is a lot of fun just cause the deer drives have stopped (usually) and it’s quiet & hunting deer’s natural patterns again. I really look forward to late ML on cold afternoons.
I love me some late season but it's so hard to get many sits in with the holidays and travel and no more leaving work just a little early because it's so dark so soon!

I am well aware of laws..... thanks for the clarification. Not only can you get doe tags but there are also something called landowner tags when you own land.
Well aware since I own land as well, however not stating thats what you were doing, just wanted to clarify. Didnt mean to be negative in any means, sorry if it came off that way.

Top Bottom