Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Gunna be a long night...

Horn Hunter

I know many of you have been through this but it my first time. I shot a good buck at about 7:00 this morning. I think it was a good hit, broad side, maybe a little forward but the arrow was buried up to the fletching when he ran off.

I let him go until noon before going to look for him. He was on the edge of a bean field when I last saw him about 75 or 80 yards away. I went to that spot and found a good blood and followed blood into a thick draw. At the bottom of the draw I found another good blood spot and the blood was really bright red. I haven't done this enough to know for sure but I thought that bright red blood was a good sign. Right after that the blood stopped and we couldn't find any more.

We searched the area for 3 1/2 hours and haven't found him yet. Do you guys think he would stay in the thick cover? I ask because he could have gone 3 ways, 2 are in the cover, the 3rd he would have had to cross about 300 plus yards of pasture ground with no cover.

I am heading back in the moring to continue searching but it is gunna be a long night. Thanks and get out there if you can cause they are moving.

Who knows for sure but by the description of the shot, I'd say he more likely stayed in thick cover. Having a hard time picturing him making it that extra 300 yds with that kinda penetration.

I don't want to deminish any hopes but you may have hit shoulder muscle. When its bright red like that, its oxygenated blood much like you might find in muscle. However, that being said, if you buried the arrow to the fletching, you got awesome penatration. Let us know. I to, think he'd stick to the cover. Good luck if you haven't found him already.

I got out yesterday about 8 AM and I searched non-stop until 2 PM and no luck. I looked in every creek bottom, fense line, CRP, wooded draws, and anywhere else I thought he could be and I found nothing.

I don't know if the shot was not a good as I thought but I know the arrow was buried up to the fletching. Some more friends are going to help me look this weekend. I'll start watching for the crows and turkey buzzards and see if they find him.

There are a lot of places he could have crawled under so he could still be close. If we don't find him I sure hope he survies. I feel really bad and I would rather miss and know he is still out there then to possibily kill him and not be able to find him. I know alot of you have been through the same thing and man is it gut wrenching.

Thanks for the support.

Top Bottom