Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Gut shot deer

topwater32

Friend from Ill. called said he stuck a GIANT but shot was a little far back. He waited 1 hr. to get out of his stand and track. Deer went about 80 yds. and laid down (Good bright blood) deer got up and fast walked about 80-100 yds. and stopped again. No blood on his trail but found where he stopped 12" pool of bright blood.Cant find the direction he went after that! does anyone have experience tracking gut shot deer?

Leave and come back tomorrow. Never track a gut shot deer immediately. Wait at least 12 Hours. Best bet now is to to try to pick up the trail again and track.If the trail isn't found. A quick check of water source edges within 500 yards is first in order. If this does not produce anything grid the area from last blood focusing on any route to water sources. Was the arrow recovered? What did it look like, and did it smell?

I have to agree with CI. definately back out till tomorrow. Hopefully he didn't bump the deer any further. If he didn't the deer will probably lay down within 300 yds of the shot. If you wait you'll find him in the morning. Check real tight to where the blood trail ends especially if it is close to water. If you didn't bump he won't be far. Good luck
TT

He left after looking for about 3 hrs. That was Thursday morn, he had to work Fri., and he is looking today! Arrow smelled and was greasy. When he walked up on the deer one hr. after he shot the deers head was swaying back and fourth. He thought the deer was done, he took one more step and the deer stood and walked off at a brisk pace.

Two years ago I gut shot a deer. Waited 24 hours and still bumped him out of his bed the next day. He was walking real slow by then. Came back next day and he had only gone another 30 yards. 24 hours minimum in my opinion for any gut shot deer; 30 hours is better.

Hate to say it,but my experiences with tracking deer you don't see down are bad. Any more I wait a least 2 if not 3 hours to trail a "good" hit. Must agree that if no blood is found from last known spot, check all h2o spots and easy trails to heavy cover. He is hurt bad and will want best cover to lick his wounds. Good luck

Top Bottom