Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Hags what's the story?

Central Iowa

Life Member
Do you have any history on this or what it's intent was? Pretty wild.
fac53f72.jpg

Hey Central Iowa,

That's actually an early version of a trail camera made by a guy on JHO nicknamed vinemaplesyrup. The trigger to operate the shutter button happened when the mouse trap was disturbed. Basically a single shot setup which needed reloading after each picture.
I believe a string was placed across the trail and attached to the mouse trap. The animal would hit the string and the mouse trap would close, pulling the arm down on the shutter button to take the picture.
Vinemaplesyrup wrote to me that he saw the idea in a hunting and fishing magaizine in the 50s and had to give it a try. I believe he actually has pictures from the setup.......I'm not sure it inspired any of todays trail cameras but it was an early version of one......
......it may have inspired the board game "Mousetrap" thou ?.......

I just had to dig this pic. up when Rembrandt stated the cams are all new technology......I think the earlier hunters messed around as much as we do in the off season.....they just didn't have the computers and internet to spread their ideas like we do.

hags

I can't find the photo I had but another old one used a clothes pin to hold a wire that was part of a switch. The trail thread made the clothes pin pivot until the wire made contact and closed the circuit to fire the camera. I had forgotten all about that until I saw this job.

Top Bottom