Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Handguns

charbs82

Hey all. I'm in the market for a new handgun these days but not sure what to get. I have been doing a lot of looking and shot a few. The obvious choice is the SIG but I'm not sure if I want to spend the cabbage. I'm also looking at the Springfield XD and the Smith and Wesson M&P. Just curious of any opinions you all might have, or if you have a favorite.

Depends on what you are using it for; Concealed carry, plinking, hunting....

Sigs are nice but IMO there are others out there that are just as nice and not as expensive. I have shot Sigs but do not own one. I own Rugers, Taurus's and a S & W, for the money it's hard to beat Taurus. Again this is just my opinion.

To me guns are an investment (at least that's what I tell the wife). If you take care of them they hold there value. If it's what you want get it.

I have a SIG P229 in .40 S&W, awesome pistol. I am also looking at a Kimber, have been wanting a .45 1911 style for awhile now. I also recently shot a Bersa .380, very nice trigger pull and feel for a smaller carry type pistol. Would like to get something like that in a 9mm. Also, the Bersa pistols are flat out cheap and they receive decent reviews.

charbs82 said:
Hey all. I'm in the market for a new handgun these days but not sure what to get. I have been doing a lot of looking and shot a few. The obvious choice is the SIG but I'm not sure if I want to spend the cabbage. I'm also looking at the Springfield XD and the Smith and Wesson M&P. Just curious of any opinions you all might have, or if you have a favorite.

I'm a fan of whichever one goes bang when you pull the trigger. Personally I'm not a fan of the M & P's weird breakaway trigger.

I'm not a huge fan of most stuff that Taurus makes but their Slim 9 is pretty nice. I would say the Springfield XD or XDM. Have the sub-compact XD and its a great shooter.

My next one will be an xd great gun love the safety mechanism. I bought a Taurus 380 for a conceal wean. IMO its a very nice gun shoots well and does not jam

I think from what I've heard and talked too I'm leaning in the way of the XD. After that maybe I'll go get a Taurus or an M&P. What cal. do you all like? The .45 is the obvious knock down power champ but 9mm and 40 cal has a little more control etc. What do you all think?

I don't follow too much into the knock down power thing. A couple of well placed rounds will drop whatever is coming at you. 9mm is going to be the cheapest to shoot but you can get ammo from guys like Clover Leaf at most shows for very reasonable and he will discount your ammo even more if you bring your brass back to him and it is very good stuff to shoot.

I have 2 Colt 1991A1s (reissued 1911s), a Springfield 1911 (see a pattern?), and my wife's SW Chief's Special in .40 SW (for non .22 semi-autos). I had a Taurus PT940 .40 and really liked it right up until I had to send back to Taurus twice to fix the same problem. I was getting ready to send it back a 3rd time for the same problem when it was stolen. After dealing with their (lack of) customer service back then (the first two times), I swore I'd never own another Taurus semi-auto again. That was my experience and it jaded me severely but I've heard others say good things about Taurus (I love their revolvers, though). I like Ruger, but have never found one to fit me right. My next one will either be a Sig, Springfield, or HK/USP in .40 SW.

And I remember buying from Clover Leaf all those years ago when I lived in Iowa. I always liked their prices and their quality.

For semi autos, I like the Glocks. I have a mod 21 .45 with a lasermax internal laser. Tough as nails, and bad guys fear the black guns, as they always fire. If I wanted pretty, I'd get a Kimber. For a revolver, I like the Ruger GP-100 .357 magnum. Versatile with the ability to shoot .38 and .357 magnum ammo, and indestructible.

I think I am leaning the way of the 40 cal in either the S&W or the XD. Main reason I was looking at the 45 is that I already have a 45 and I also have the dies and equipment for reloading 45's, but it can't hurt to add another caliber to my collection can it! :)

M&P, Sig, and XDM are all nice guns. XDM is my personal favorite and about the only one I shoot anymore. Looked at originally for the safety features and ended up preferring how it shot compared to my others. I have ran close to 10,000 round through mine with only 1 FTF and no FTE.

I have the original 4.5" model in 40 cal but I am going to pick up a 3.8 compact as a carry gun.

Good luck, there are lots of really nice guns available and its just like a bow. Buy what feels best to you.

I have a Springfield XDM .40 cal. for sale Pm me if you or anybody else is interested. Gun is 6 months old just bought a Colt 1911, don't need (2)

Top Bottom