Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Hanging deer

When it's too warm to hang, I'll quarter out, wrap the quarters in plastic sheeting, and then age in the garage fridge for a week or so. Have never aged part of a deer and butchered the rest right away for a true test to see how well aging works. Do know I like the result when I can let them age a week, whether it's hanging in the garage when the weather's cool enough to do so or the refrigerator aging. Edit: was still on page one when I typed my reply and missed 203ntyp's reply. Looks like I pretty much copied it other than by wrapping in plastic I'm probably a little closer to wet aging instead of dry when I'm using the fridge. Definitely agree on not over-cooking.

Last edited:
Definitely notice a difference letting them hang. A week is usually what I like to do. If it’s just gonna be ground up I don’t think it really matters much. It’ll keep mine at 36 degrees no problem. Anything above 40 degrees bacteria can grow is what I heard. Spray foam it real good and get a small heater with a thermostat and it’ll keep them from freezing solid in the winter. Again find that sweet spot above freezing and below 40. Nothing worse than trying to skin a frozen deer! lol

Aging venison absolutely helps! There are a lot of "sources" you can learn more about this. Chef Milos Cihelka released some VHS tapes on cooking wild game a long long time ago and since I started doing what he recommends, the quality of venison we have has improved tremendously. Meat care and aging makes a HUGE difference!! You can dry age, and you can also wet age (I learned this from an African guide). Let temps and humidity guide you to how long. Good luck!!

missed 203ntyp's reply. Looks like I pretty much copied it other than by wrapping in plastic I'm probably a little closer to wet aging instead of dry when I'm using the fridge. Definitely agree on not over-cooking.
I don't think wrapping it plastic is a good idea. The meat needs some air circulation. Something I forgot to mention that I remove all the sinew by filleting it off the aged meat and most of the fat and any glands or you will get a wild taste.

Top Bottom