Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Hard Loading

lxshooter

I just recently got a Thompson Omega and I have the HARDEST time loading it. I mean it takes everything I have to get it loaded. This shouldn't be so hard to load should it? My last muzzleloader had no problems getting the bullet down the barrel. We fired it once and it was dead-on but once again it was next to impossible to get re-loaded. Any ideas?

What are you loading? Sabots, maxis, etc.

Sabots play a key role (see: Sabots ). Black HPH12's can be tight and if that is the case, Black HPH24's have thinner petals. If you are getting your sabots with the bullet, there is no guarantee what you are getting. There are tons of sabots out there.

As a last resort, the barrel can be lapped with something like JB Bore compound (available from Brownells), but this might void warranty.

Did the sabots come with the Barnes bullets? If so, I'd call Barnes with the lot number off the bullet/sabot combo and ask whose sabot they supplied. Sounds like the HPH24's might be what your gun needs. Or maybe you need a different bullet. You should read: Barnes review

depending on the method of rifling, .50 cal guns from 2 different companies, can have slightly different barrel diameters. knights have a slightly bigger bore than tcs. that is why, when tc first started making powerbelts, the tc guys thought they were the shizznit, but knight guys couldn't get them to group worth a damn. like everything else, you are going to experiment and try to find what your gun likes. my uncle had the same trouble with his encore. last i heard, he hadn't got back out to shoot, but he is going to try the powerbelts.

another problem, i have heard of, is that a 209 shotgun primer, causes so much flash, that 777 can get to burning too fast, leaving a charred spot on the barrel, making it damn tough to get the bullet to seat propperly every time. remmington, and some others, are making a "low flash" 209 primer. that might help as well

one last bit of wisdom.........you should have never gotten rid of the knight
grin.gif

Has anybody noticed if the Remington 209's shoot any different than the regular winchesters?

[ QUOTE ]
Has anybody noticed if the Remington 209's shoot any different than the regular winchesters?

[/ QUOTE ]

If you are talking about the new ones for muzzleloaders, I have tried them and my group opened up. I didn't try different loads or bullets and chose to go back to the Winchester primers that have worked so well in the past.

Are these also the recommended primer for Thriple 7. I was told that a regular 209 will push your load forward prior to ingition creating what is called a burn ring or something like that. I have zero ( 12 rounds) experence and am mostly just repeat things I been told or read. I really thought the regular 209s where determined to be to much for muzzle loader. ???

Don't be afraid to try regular shotgun primers or the ones made for muzzleloaders. Try both to see what you or your gun likes. Some people like the newer made for muzzleloader 209s. Others do not. They are reported to reduce the "crud ring". They also are reported to cause misfires in guns that never had them with the regular 209s. I am sure you can find someone here who swears by them and others like me who swears at them. My gun never had a misfire, it just didn't group as well. As for "pushing" the bullet, I have heard that one before but wonder if it really happens on not. The best groups in my gun are with the regular made for shotgun Winchester 209s. I gave away the made for muzzleloader Cleanbore Remingtons but do have some made for muzzleloader Winchesters (WML209) that I plan to give a second chance after this season is done. After my first round with them, I have a feeling most of them will be given away too.

After I have played with some of these I will try and add an experienced reply. Thanks 150 for the great info.

I too have the same problem with loading my muzzy after about the 2nd or 3rd shot. For grouping purposes I switched and started shooting just one shot before running a patch to get rid of some of the crud ring. I figure that is the way it will be in the field so even though it is a pain in the ass I sighted it in that way. As for the 209 primers I also shoot the regulars and have had no problems, but have heard several complaints about the muzzy cleanbore 209s. Good luck with the gun and let us know how she is shooting after you go out again.

Kratz

Top Bottom