Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Have to Brag on my Dog

dc240nt

PMA Member
Last Thanksgiving I picked up a female GSP pup from 6R's Upland Kennels in Grinnell, Iowa. Chris produces some pretty darned good dogs and my pup "Elsie" is another reason for him to brag on his own line breeding.
I currently have Elsie down at Chris's for some formal training before bringing her home and hitting the Pheasants and Grouse up north. He called me this last week and asked if he could enter her in a field trial compitition that he was taking her sire Duece, and her two year old full brother Ajax to. Both Duece and Ajax are currently ranked top 15 amature dogs in the world and both have qualified for the upcoming world championships. He stressed that he had confidence in her or he wouldnt ask to take her. In this paticular compitition there was no puppy division, only an open class. I was a little worried but also quite excited and proud that he would pick my dog out of a Kennel of 40 to choose from.
I received word today that out of 38 entries, my pup Elsie won second place! Chris admits that it was his own fault that cost her first place, his error, not hers. She even beat her Dad and Brother. She ran last out of all dogs and the conditions were hot and dry, not real good for scenting birds, but she found and stuck her three with no trouble. Wow am I proud! I havnt even gotten to hunt over her yet. I'll be in Grinnell Friday and Saturday picking her up. On Monday we will be in the field together chasing Sharptail and Ruffed Grouse. I can hardly wait.

This was taken right after we brought her home last November.
P1010126.jpg

She's a classic looking GSP.
P1010160.jpg

This is a picture of the first "intense" point I seen her stick. I was shed hunting in April when she locked up on a Gopher. I'll bet she held this pose, without waver, for a full two minutes.
gopher.jpg

The first bird she pointed in the field was actaully shot over her. She immediatly retreived the Chuker....
CopyofDSC_0064.jpg

and brought it back and placed it in hand! She was 6 months old and it was her first bird.
CopyofDSC_0067.jpg

Here she is a few weeks ago at 6R's pointing a Quail as her Dad backs her up.
011Largee-mailview.jpg

Here she's backing her Dad on point. I'm going to 8x10 this one for the "wall of fame". Can't wait to get her home!
014Largee-mailview.jpg

My shorthair just died this spring... What a great breed! She was a puppy until her dying breath. Hope you and yours make many memories together. I'm sure you'll be a great team!

Great looking GSP. I met Chris several years ago and had a long chat with him. My last shorthair came from a long time breeder in Grinnell and I think some of Chris's dogs are out of those lines. My last male has passed several years back and with the bird population down and not much time to work with a pup I have not replaced him. When the time comes I will give Chris a chance. What lines are your pup out of?

She is a beautiful dog! Once my lab pup gets out of the "i am going to chew everything" stage I think I will get a GSP as well. Congrats to you and the pup!

Great looking GSP. I met Chris several years ago and had a long chat with him. My last shorthair came from a long time breeder in Grinnell and I think some of Chris's dogs are out of those lines. My last male has passed several years back and with the bird population down and not much time to work with a pup I have not replaced him. When the time comes I will give Chris a chance. What lines are your pup out of?

Fatboy. The old timer you're refering to is Chris's mentor. I cant remember his name (Darrel Keenan?) but he bred strait Moesgaard GSP's because of thier drive and temperment. Just about one third of the Hall of Fame GSP's, and a bunch of the top winning Field Champion lines go back to the Moesgaard lineage. My pup is seven generations of pure Moesgaard on both Dame and Sire. The last four generations come thru Chris.
They say a person gets one really good dog in a lifetime. Chris says he's been fortunate because he's already had three dogs of a lifetime. Its these three sires that fuel my pup.
I didnt know anything about picking a pup out of a litter, and I still dont. But after many conversations with Chris, I decided I'd let him choose the pup for me. He based his decision on what I told him I would be looking for. I wanted a bird dog, and a darned good one, but I also wanted a house dog, and a family pet. This was as importent to my wife and kids as having a hunting dog was to me. He chose very, very, well. I have a great hunting dog, a superb family pet that is calm and gentle in the house, loves people and especially kids, has more personality then any ten of my friends, is a great entertainer and fun companion. She has more heart and try then any animal I've ever been around. I wont ever have to worry about her not trying her best or giving up. I couldn't have asked for anything better and I cant believe I could have found a better dog for my family's needs, wants, and demands.
If anyone is considering a GSP, by all means give me a call. I'll share all the insight and research that I have done. Any breeder out there has the potential to turn out a good dog or two. But what seperates the good ones from the great ones is all bloodline and initial handling. This is where a breeder/trainer can make or break a great dog.
This pup is one year old right now. She has spent nine of those months with me. Now, I'm not a trainer and will never pretend to be. But what I did was listen to Chris and worked my dog to his timeline and directive, and I'm really glad that I did. Things have turned out better then I ever imagined they would.
Next week, for the first time ever, I'll be shooting birds over my own dog. I can hardly wait!

Top Bottom