Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

He is back for more

hornhntr

Here is a picture of a buck I shot and wounded last year; you can see where the broadhead (rage) slid along his rib cage behind his front leg, the angle was too sharp. Hope to do better this year. He is 5.5 years old this year, would like to let him go to 7.5 but I don't have enough acres to protect him but anyway I want to get him with my bow.
picture.php

• Deleted by N/A
Show…
7 1/5 years old???? Really???? Many deer are going down hill by then. I know where I hunt most of my bucks dispurse around 4 1/2. Some stay around, but i could never wait for a 7 1/2 year old.

I shot and wounded last year;He is 5.5 years old this year, would like to let him go to 7.5 but I don't have enough acres to protect him but anyway I want to get him with my bow.

You want him to get to 7.5 but you shot him at 4.5?
Still a great buck, awesome man, that's a beast. What kind of jump did he make from 4.5 to 5.5? The wound sure didn't faze him too much, otherwise it woulda goofed the rack up. I'd actually love to have some 7.5's running around, I actually, personally, think MOST bucks are at their peak from 6.5 to 7.5. 8.5+ I think most go down hill BUT I've seen a few that actually went up. A farm with consistent good genetic 5.5-7.5 year old deer would be off the frigin hook.

Stud! Good luck with him! 5.5 is mature in my book! He could get bigger, or he could get smaller... I know if he came by me he'd be gettin shot at!

7.5 is what I would do if I had enough acres and lived in my perfect world, would really like to see how much more stickers and mass he would put on. He was alittle smaller last year but had more junk, it was a rash decison to shoot last year when he suprised me at 20 yards. Over the years I have let alot of nice deer go trying to get a giant and they dissappear or run after a doe and get shot off my farm, so after hunting alot last year and not getting any bigger ones on my cameras I decided to shoot him or another older deer with bad genes. I had a 150 inch 8 pointer that I knew was 3.5 and I hoped he wouldn't get pushed out by this buck and grow into a stud at 5.5 but I found him dead this spring. Just plain hard to get them to 7.5, alot of variables I can't control. So I have set 5.5 as old enough as they should have most of their potential showing....but it is always in the back of my mind of what would he look like next year.

Do you think a different broadhead may not have deflected? He is a sweet looking buck, good luck with him.

I have thought about that, I tried to slip behind the rib cage but caught on it anyway. I heard it hit and it sounded like a watermelon bursting and I thought I had him. Arrow had blood up 8" or so but not alot. He bled like crazy for the first 100 yards, just like the ad says: painted the ground red. Waited 2.5 hours and I trailed him into the jungle, I looked up and I heard him run out and my brother saw him go across the hill and we waited another 4 hrs and then trailed him to a river where we eventually jumped him again but by then the blood was dried up. Might think about using another broadhead but I do like the way the rage flies. Anybody else had this problem with angle shots?

hornhntr said:
I have thought about that, I tried to slip behind the rib cage but caught on it anyway. I heard it hit and it sounded like a watermelon bursting and I thought I had him. Arrow had blood up 8" or so but not alot. He bled like crazy for the first 100 yards, just like the ad says: painted the ground red. Waited 2.5 hours and I trailed him into the jungle, I looked up and I heard him run out and my brother saw him go across the hill and we waited another 4 hrs and then trailed him to a river where we eventually jumped him again but by then the blood was dried up. Might think about using another broadhead but I do like the way the rage flies. Anybody else had this problem with angle shots?

I would switch to Rocket 2 blade Meat Seekers. They fly just like my field points. Have killed 7 deer with them and all have died within 100yd with the exception of the buck I killed last year that was liver/ paunch and he piled up about 200yds. Of course that's what your brother was shooting last year and he lost his buck.

I actually, personally, think MOST bucks are at their peak from 6.5 to 7.5. 8.5+ I think most go down hill BUT I've seen a few that actually went up. A farm with consistent good genetic 5.5-7.5 year old deer would be off the frigin hook

Skip and I are in agreeance on this one!

Great buck.

Top Bottom