Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

He just didn't listen...

Daver

PMA Member
I missed this buck Tuesday night and he was out and about last night(Wednesday) too. I'll add more later, but I am very happy with this guy, he was a real regular for us and we have dozens of pics of him and I think he may walked by a trail cam about 5 minutes before he got shot last night. I'll have to confirm that later.

I shot him at 18 yards and was initially very pleased with where I hit him, but he ran about 50 yards and stood there for 5 minutes or so before I couldn't see him. The arrow had good blood, but I would have expected him to fall sooner, etc. It also started raining at almost the exact time that I shot him and in the end I waited to go after until this morning. He made it about 50 yards further than where I last saw him. I hit the heart and at least one lung for sure, so he was pretty tough to stay on his feet for as long as he did if you ask me.

If someone shoots an arrow through my heart...I know I would never make it 100 yards away!

161-daver_2014_archery.jpg

Time to start trapping!!! Oh...Team Old Guys are in the lead!!

Awesome deer Daver!! Congrats.. My Coonass b-n-law and I are headed to Davis County in the morning. This pic really gets my confidence up over all the EHD stories I've heard... By the way, is 42 considered old on this forum...lol

Great deer! I'm surprised how tough they are, too. My daughter put a hole in the heart of her doe with a 140 gr TTSX 7mm bullet and she still casually trotted 50 yards before piling up. Tough as nails!

Congrats!!

Congrats on an awesome buck. Team Depends is really kicking butt this year. I have a feeling quite a few bucks will take dirt naps this weekend.

Awesome deer Daver!! Congrats.. My Coonass b-n-law and I are headed to Davis County in the morning. This pic really gets my confidence up over all the EHD stories I've heard... By the way, is 42 considered old on this forum...lol

Thank you. FWIW, I listened to an interesting conversation Tuesday evening in a Bloomfield restaurant where several hunters had converged following the days hunt. To a man, the consensus was that there were good numbers of bucks up to about the 150" range. But the real giants are pretty scarce compared to what would have been common up until about 5 years ago. This was coming from guys that have a lot of experience in this area, not some pikers.

I still think you are likely to have a memorable and quality hunt, BUT...it sure does seem like things are not quite what they were approximately 5 years ago in terms of true top end bucks. I also subscribe to this opinion based upon my observations. Between the EHD kills in 2012 and 2013 and the impact of several years of the late, late rifle season...things are not what they used to be in SE Iowa, but they are still pretty good and I think with the passing of the late rifle season, things will get better every year now, barring any widespread reappearance of EHD.

Enjoy your trip...your timing is perfect IMO. The best hunting is just starting now from what I can tell.

Nice! That doesn't happen often where a second shit comes the very next day!

Well I don't know about that...I often go on consecutive days!! :D :D It is one of the advantages of being on Team Depends as some wiseacre said. :D

Seriously, you're right, I was surprised to see this buck again the next day, let alone watch him for quite awhile and eventually get a good shot at him.

Top Bottom