Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Heart Breaker Buck (Video)

Oh you guys.. Last week I some something that just broke my heart... I was driving home from practice and saw a decent buck bedded down.. I pulled over and started taking video. He was a 3 year old with probably 20 points.. Has crazy palmation, kickers and stickers, 15in wide MAYBE, and his main beams just go STAIGHT up! Heres the catch... when he walked away i looked at his front right leg and it was broken and twisted and looked HORRIBLE.. so bad i was wondering if i should have called the DNR to ask if i should shoot him there on the spot?!? I have a buck thats about mid to high 170s on trail camera back at my farm and this buck is awsome but i would pass him up for 2 years normally... but i don't even know if he will make past winter because he will have no way of digging for food. Should i tag a booner or the this buck? Usually I would pass bucks like this for about two more years.. Recommendations?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OQ2kPGb6RxI

- Thanks,
Greiner

Oh man, that sucks bad. I wonder if some folks who know about Veterinary stuff can say if that deer could possibly live ok with this? Deer are pretty resilient - is it like a dog with 3 legs we've all seen- that learn to live with it and it could heal up? Not sure, be interesting to hear from some knowledgeable folks on that issue. that does suck, ouch. Poor dude.

I'm far from an expert but I would say he could make it if he isn't taken by a hunter. I didn't see an open wound or any swelling. That's what makes me think that he could be fine with this. It does suck though! Go for the booner regardless!

In all honesty it looks like he has been like that for awhile, and I would say is the cause for the funky rack this year. His body looks healthy and he seemed to move ok (given the circumstance). I would hold out for your 170 and let this guy do his thing. Your call, but I bet he's ok.

Do you know any youth hunters? Would be a great first buck.

It is amazing, I have no problem shooting a deer, but stuff like this always gets to me.

I'll echo dedgeez on that one. Deer are tough suckers, and I'd bet he lives as long as would be expected otherwise. Interesting rack for sure! I also hate seeing deer in pain. I know most of society sees us as ruthless killers, but often it is the exact opposite. We want healthy deer and clean kills!

Do you know any youth hunters? Would be a great first buck.

It is amazing, I have no problem shooting a deer, but stuff like this always gets to me.

Tags started on sale August 15th.. My birthday was August 16th (Turned 16) Bought my youth tag on August 15th.perfect timing. haha I'm a lucky kid!

I bet he makes it. Looks healthy, the leg doesn't look like it is infected and it doesn't appear that it has any open wounds that could get infected from what I could see. I've seen one or two 3 legged deer and they get along just fine.

He'll live. The amount of trauma that a whitetail can sustain and still survive is incredible. They are crazy tough animals. Here is the one I shot last year;
PICT0441.jpg

PICT0069.jpg

popeyeleg.jpg

IMG_1075.jpg

IMG_1175.jpg

I've had a three legged doe on the property that I hunt for a couple of years now. She keeps having twins and the last 2 years the twins have been bucks. I've let her walk due to that.

That is too bad. Coyotes might get him if he doesn't learn how to get around better. Hope he makes it, sure has some potential.

Looks like an old injury and he should get around just fine...the injury may be why his rack is the way it is???

I've seen whitetails endure much more than that. I think he'll be fine. It's your call on rather to shoot him or not.

I tried to kill a buck that was crippled up like that one on my place for 4 years. Closest I ever got was when he was walking down a trail that would have brought him right to me but bedded down on the trail 40 yards away from my tree one afternoon. At 0:dark:30 I got out of my stand, spooked him and I never saw him alive again. I was given his antlers after he was found dead two years later by a neighbor who knew I had been after him. Not sure what killed him but he lived at least 6 years with a leg like that. He too had a very tall rack with a way goofy side opposite the bad wheel.

Top Bottom