Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Heater Body Suit

gunrunr

Life Member
Anyone used a Heater Body Suit?

With all the cold weather already, I've had several inquiries about them. I think I have several guys wanting to get one, so if anyone is interested, I think I will be getting a dealership for them. Anyone ordering one before my initial order date will get an extra special IowaWhitetail discount for helping me to make a larger opening order.

Don't have one myself but I know there are a handful of guys on here who LOVE them. Probably a sound investment Boyd.

This is what I use http://canadiancocoon.com/start.htm

The cocoon keeps all your body heat in (as does the suit) and you dont have to open it up to make a shot. With the suit you have to open it to shoot, loosing any stored heat from within the bag.

The suit is also harder to get into only because of the legs, even tougher with heavy pack boots.

I can say all this from past expirience.

I have used the cocoon the last 6 years in Canada and northern Minnesota and have never once regretted buying one (actually I own 2) or ever thought I should have purchased a suit instead.

It enables me to dress lighter, even on the coldest of days.
Many times I have hunted in temps at -20F or less, and I have been able to sit very comfortably all day because of the cocoon.

Either will work, however the cocoon is more heat efficient then the suit is.

Why couldn't a guy just buy a camo sleeping bag and cut out arm holes and save $300? Hell you could even buy a mummy bag and really keep the heat in!

dc240 doesnt some heat escape through the arm slots? that does look nicer that the body suit. i have friends that use the suot though and swear by it

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Got Rack</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Why couldn't a guy just buy a camo sleeping bag and cut out arm holes and save $300? Hell you could even buy a mummy bag and really keep the heat in! </div></div>

I thought the exact same thing until I tested the idea. I have an old army issue mummy and it was tough to get shoed feet into the bottom of the bag cause it gets so tight toward the bottom. Once I did, I felt like if I stood up, I was a practical guarantee to tip over and fall out of a stand.

FWIW Boyd, a couple guys at work were expressing interest in these things and nobody could find a nearby source. Might be a good market. I think it'd be an easier sell if a person could actually get into one, especially after several hunts of shivering your butt off. This year, even many of the days during the rut were candidates for a bag. Seemed like a colder and more windy season than normal.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: stringleech</div><div class="ubbcode-body">dc240 doesnt some heat escape through the arm slots? that does look nicer that the body suit. i have friends that use the suot though and swear by it </div></div>

There is two strips of elastic in both arm openings, when you pull your arms inside they overlap and seal out the cold. Plenty of room in these things also.

I stuff mine into and carry it in a scent loc bag. Compresson straps are another idea and then it could be tied to your backpack.

Just wanted to add that the next best thing after these two products would be the complete "Raven Wear" system. But at close to $1000.00 for the whole set-up, it makes the Cocoon and Suit look like a real bargain.

Like I said, either one of these things will work and do what you need it to do. I was in camp this fall with a guy who had the Suit. He tried a Cocoon one day and fell in love with it.

Only difference being the Cocoon is easier to get in and out of, and its also more heat efficient.

dc240,
That cocoon looks nice too. Do you ever have a hard time drawing the bow wearing it though? Seems like it could be tricky when shooting from a sitting position especially on a straight away shot or a shot to the right (if you're right handed). Wouldn't the knees be in the way of the lower limb of the bow in those cases?

I've thought about one. A friend of mine is toughing out these last few days and that's about it, toughing it out. It's not all that cold, about -6 Fahrenheit but it wears on a guy. All the things a guy would buy if he could...this would be right up there but for now, it's stubborn will.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Iowabowtech</div><div class="ubbcode-body">dc240,
That cocoon looks nice too. Do you ever have a hard time drawing the bow wearing it though? Seems like it could be tricky when shooting from a sitting position especially on a straight away shot or a shot to the right (if you're right handed). Wouldn't the knees be in the way of the lower limb of the bow in those cases? </div></div>

Personally I've never worn one while bowhunting basically because I havnt hunted late season for along time, not since I started Muzz hunting.

I'm sure your concerns could be taken care of with alittle forethought. I dont think a person would have any troubles, especially with todays shorter bows. There are many people that bow hunt out of these, including a good friend of mine and he's never mentioned anything. He spends alot of time his.

Could you imagine putting one of those on in a Lonewolf Assault 30 feet up in the air, WOW!!!

I just bought the Heater Body Suit this year and have used it twice. One thing i can say is i never got cold. It is kind of a pain to get in and out of, especially in the dark. But i need more practice doing it. Once i get the hang of it, it will be perfect. Definately have to have a good size stand to be in. And with your arms inside the suit, you better have a pretty good sense of balance or you may feel uncomfortable standing up and sitting down while in the suit. All in all it is a very good purchase and i plan on spending much more time in it.

I wouldn't lug one of those big things to my stand an all the trouble that is connected to it when you can just buy some heated clothing. There are a couple companies that make lightweight heated clothing. Here's one:
http://www.gerbing.com/

I figured the Greywolf Wollen guys (limb, muddy, ect..) would be here telling a you to buy the wool and forget the sleepingbag things.

Anybody wanna comment on comparing a good set of wool clothing to a heater body suit?

Top Bottom