Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Heaviest deer you've ever killed?

The biggest deer I've harvested was the buck I shot back in Iowa in 2011. It took both Bowman and me to get it into the back of my truck, even after field dressing it. I boned it out to bring it back to AZ and my processor had 125 lbs of meat ready for me within a week.

But that is not the heaviest deer I've ever shot. The heaviest deer I've harvested was my one and only Coues whitetail from down near Bisbee, AZ. After field dressing and skinning, it was only 62 lbs hanging weight. It was probably just under 100 lbs field dressed. You can say that isn't very heavy all you want, but after dragging that deer by myself a little over a mile back to camp, it got heavier and heavier with each step. It was slightly downhill, followed by steeply uphill, followed by steeply downhill to get back to camp. About halfway down the last portion, I dropped it in the shade, hustled down to camp, shed gear and went back up to finish dragging it. My hands were so cramped after dragging it by the antlers and switching hands off and on that I could just squeeze a cold beer into one hand and not have to squeeze the can to grip it. That was back when I drank. I'll never drag a deer back to camp again!

The biggest deer I've harvested was the buck I shot back in Iowa in 2011. It took both Bowman and me to get it into the back of my truck, even after field dressing it. I boned it out to bring it back to AZ and my processor had 125 lbs of meat ready for me within a week.

But that is not the heaviest deer I've ever shot. The heaviest deer I've harvested was my one and only Coues whitetail from down near Bisbee, AZ. After field dressing and skinning, it was only 62 lbs hanging weight. It was probably just under 100 lbs field dressed. You can say that isn't very heavy all you want, but after dragging that deer by myself a little over a mile back to camp, it got heavier and heavier with each step. It was slightly downhill, followed by steeply uphill, followed by steeply downhill to get back to camp. About halfway down the last portion, I dropped it in the shade, hustled down to camp, shed gear and went back up to finish dragging it. My hands were so cramped after dragging it by the antlers and switching hands off and on that I could just squeeze a cold beer into one hand and not have to squeeze the can to grip it. That was back when I drank. I'll never drag a deer back to camp again!
Yup, those are the "monsters" you really remember!!!

Now that photobucket is cooperating again, here are pics of a couple that I have harvested over 200#'s:

Mid Iowa Rut

SD Rifle

Here is a pic of the only deer over 300#'s that I've ever put my hands on in the field: (I didn't harvest it, so I blocked out my buddies face. That's my beautiful hunting truck though. Man I miss that old truck.)

Iowa Shotgun

Went and picked my meat up from Zeb's on Saturday and chatted him up about the average weight of the bucks brought into them. He said they generally debone ~70lbs of meat from a buck, they had a handful over 100lbs this year, & their heaviest buck produced 117lbs of meat this year, fyi.

2014 - 200 lbs dressed on the scale. I am 6'2" - and about 10 lbs heavier than the deer.

62eebb08-1ded-4c7a-95cf-44ace654b2d7_zps5a9fb9eb.jpg

287 was my bow bucks weight this year...

I have the buck in another thread on here

Killed this buck in 2010. My heaviest to date.....235 live weight. We don't grow them quite as big in the south as you guys do in the Midwest.

Top Bottom