Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Hedge

I’ve been grafting the wild mulberry over to Illinois Everbearing. No fruit yet, but they’ve browsed the new shoots heavily, so either graft up higher or cage.

Sounds good. I want to get that MFR knocked back. And I think some edge feathering along the edges. Want to get a couple clover plots going too
Sounds a lot like the timber that I own here in north central IL. The use of a track skid-steer with a brush mower/grinder to make a few trails and get rid of the MFR an Honeysuckle in the perimeter and a creek crossing would be good in my thoughts. The biggest trouble is the mowing that needs to be done after the first cutting. A small tractor and 3 point mower works fine then and will kill off what ids kept mowed. The trees are another story, cutting some or most all the box-elders, and some nut bearing walnut would be great as these trees will kill alot of wanted ground cover under and near them because the walnut gives off bad chemical. If you are close to my location you can come sometime and take a look at what I have done to my timber. Just PM me on here if you would like.

Wow….so much great information everyone!!! I have a question as I am new to all of the things to habitat management. I recently walked thru some of my property and found some spots of MFR that are way too thick. I want to reduce some not all of it. I plan on cutting them and then spraying the stubs. My question is will spraying work during the non growing time of year like now or should I wait until spring when they are actively growing again. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Wow….so much great information everyone!!! I have a question as I am new to all of the things to habitat management. I recently walked thru some of my property and found some spots of MFR that are way too thick. I want to reduce some not all of it. I plan on cutting them and then spraying the stubs. My question is will spraying work during the non growing time of year like now or should I wait until spring when they are actively growing again. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
Mow now. Spray regrowth (wait).

Top Bottom