Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Help Me with Minerals

Arrowsmith1

We have a small farm in SE Iowa. We live in Texas and hope to retire on our place in Iowa.

A friend and his son (Iowa residents) are going to hunt our ground this season. We are going up this weekend to set out a couple of trailcams. If I put out some minerals at the trail cam locations does this make these areas illegal to hunt around ?

Also. Give me an idea on what mineral mixes work well.

go to your local small town hard ware store or coop and buy the mineral they use for cows. Then break the block with a hammer. They love it.

If I put out some minerals at the trail cam locations does this make these areas illegal to hunt around ?
Yes, it is illegal to hunt around them if their proximity gives the hunter an "advantage", which I put quotes on that since it is up to the CO to determine whether it helped or not, no set distance is used.

If he his hunting this fall and you want a quick inventory, I would suggest corn instead of a mineral. The bucks are not frequenting the mineral sites nearly as much now, and will get less and less the closer it gets to fall.

If you are establishing mineral sites for the future, I would just put out a salt block or a cattle block like was mentioned before. Lucky buck works well also, but quite a bit more pricey. Either way, good luck to the young man this fall :way:

If he his hunting this fall and you want a quick inventory, I would suggest corn instead of a mineral. The bucks are not frequenting the mineral sites nearly as much now, and will get less and less the closer it gets to fall.

If you are establishing mineral sites for the future, I would just put out a salt block or a cattle block like was mentioned before. Lucky buck works well also, but quite a bit more pricey. Either way, good luck to the young man this fall :way:

Good advice, we also really see the activity tail off dramatically at our mineral sites starting right around the first part of September. In addition to corn as an attractant in September-ish, we have take the fallen apples from our yard to the farm and used those too. Everything in the woods seems to like to come get an apple.

Good advice, we also really see the activity tail off dramatically at our mineral sites starting right around the first part of September. In addition to corn as an attractant in September-ish, we have take the fallen apples from our yard to the farm and used those too. Everything in the woods seems to like to come get an apple.

Thanks guys.

Dave. You know our place. I am going to place one camera on east side of the creek in the woods and one on the west side which is more open. Should I just scatter a bag of corn at each trailcam site.

Thanks guys.

Dave. You know our place. I am going to place one camera on east side of the creek in the woods and one on the west side which is more open. Should I just scatter a bag of corn at each trailcam site.

That's about what I would do. I think that would work out fine for your spot. I also would not be surprised to hear that some deer are still working the mineral site I put out for you 2 years ago.

Just curious, how did you ever come out with the neighbor with the fenceline that got all washed out by your creek? I still say that if a buck could walk that side of the creek through your property that you would have an excellent rut stand or two to intercept that cruising.

My son has been having his corn last longer when he has found a spot with a good stand of grass to kind of hold the corn. They work at getting it all and it takes them longer to clean you out.

My son has been having his corn last longer when he has found a spot with a good stand of grass to kind of hold the corn. They work at getting it all and it takes them longer to clean you out.

This is what we are going to do. Thanks !!!

This Texan is posting from 44th St. SE in Cedar Rapids tonight. We are headed down to our place in Davis county tomorrow. Where is the best place between CR and Bloomfield to pick up a couple of bags of corn?

This is what we are going to do. Thanks !!!

This Texan is posting from 44th St. SE in Cedar Rapids tonight. We are headed down to our place in Davis county tomorrow. Where is the best place between CR and Bloomfield to pick up a couple of bags of corn?

I assume you will take highway 1 south through Washington coming from CR. If so, you will drive right by an Orscheln farm store right on the very west edge of Washington. (It is right next to a HyVee store.) I know they will have it as I have bought it there myself a few times.

Otherwise, any Tractor Supply or Oscheln store should take care of you. Both of those are in Fairfield too and just off of highway 1.

Top Bottom