Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Help

joebell

I would like to go turkey hunting with my bow this spring, I have never hunted turkey's and have no gear. I am very busy at work this time of year so I will probably only get out three or four times. What would you consider the minimum equipment that I need. I don't want to make a huge investment because of my limited time. Thanks for your help in advance>
JB

My advice would be abviously your camo, a couple of calls. If your just getting started then I would go with a box call, or maybe a push call. The one thing you are really gunna need is a blind. If a turkey can see you blink at 100 yards theyre sure as hell gunna see you pull back a bow at 20 yards. You may even wanna pick up a few decoys to give them something to come into. These are just the basics but there are way more things to make your turkey hunting experience more comfortable and enjoyable.

P.S. If this is your first year ever turkey hunting and your doin it with a bow I wish you all the luck in the world, Its hard enough to do it with 3 1/2 shells from a 12 guage my friend.

Good luck
Numba1

Numba1 said it, a blind is almost essential! after 20+ turkeys under my belt with 10ga. to a 12ga to a 20ga. I still can't get an arrow into one, and I've tried (Came close but I haven't used a blind, wanted to do it the hard way). A turkey with a bow might be the greatest challenges, my utmost respect to the turkey bow hunters!

Thanks for the replies guys...I think maybe I will buy a couple of calls and decoy's and go sit and give it a try. Like I said I won't have much time, but I could give it a try with no blind and see what happens. The blind will come next year, along with a career change so I don't have to work all damn spring
smile.gif

Thanks again for the replies.
JB

This is all good advice, but last year I bagged my first gobbler with a bow the last day of the season, the only day I didn't hunt out of a blind. I discovered mobility is key in getting close to em(20 yards in)a lot of the time. Set up just behind ridgetops that overlook the areas that the birds are or might be, and you just might get the best of Ol Tom. Shotgunning and Bowhunting are two totally different beasts in the world of turkey hunting. Just my two cents. Good luck in the turkey woods!

The big thing of hunting turkeys with a bow without a blind is the draw like people have said. Once you see the bird and IF he commits try and get your bow into a vertical position right away, that is probably how most of 'em get spooked. IF you can draw slow enough and are in good cover you can probably get drawn on the bird. By keeping the bow up and down that kind've screens your elbow moving back. My suggestion is to pray that he comes to your decoys in full strut. Face your decoys towards you because, IN THEORY, a gobbler will come in and face the decoys. Then pull back when his butt is in your face. Give him an arrow enema and you're in business. Easy huh?
wink.gif
If he comes in and won't strut, just draw back slowly, maybe he won't run but just walk away. It seems to me that turkeys will usually walk straight away from you when spooked, stick the pin between his wing butts and stick him. Good luck

muddy

I have yet to take aim with a bow, Havent tried yet, but when I do I really dont think im gunna use a blind. Ive just heard from so many people that a blind is the way to go but i think id rather do it the hard way myself. I think next year is gunna be the year.

Numba1

Top Bottom