Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Hey Guys If you could own land in any County which Iowa County would it be?

Rudye18

Hey Everybody, this is my first post, I'm pretty active over on the qdma forums, but seeing as I dont own any Iowa land there is no need to be here.

Till now that is.

I was hoping you guys could help me out, I am very fortunate to be looking for Iowa property. The company I work for is looking into setting up a Mid west Distribution point, currently we operate out of Ohio, but are looking at Iowa because of its great geographical point to the midwest.

So back to why I am here, The owners of the company are avid Bowhunters, and since they love to bowhunt and need a building out here they have decided to find a small farm, that they could also put a building on, and operate out of. Its a small company so they only will need 3-4000 square feet. They are interested in a 50-60 acre farm that they could bowhunt early, and also check up on the distribution point while they do it.

So my question is, if you could hunt any County in Iowa, which would it be? :confused:

I too am personally interested in this too, because we are going to be allowed to bowhunt when we take out supplies to restock the distribution point, so any help is apreciated by me, and the owners.

I'm sure that there will be some difficulty getting a tag, but the hope of hunting is all I need.

Thanks for your help, and hopefully the threat of some Ohio hunters dont have you guys giving us counties in the wrong direction. :D

Thanks again,
Rudy

Hey Everybody, this is my first post, I'm pretty active over on the qdma forums, but seeing as I dont own any Iowa land there is no need to be here.

Till now that is.

I was hoping you guys could help me out, I am very fortunate to be looking for Iowa property. The company I work for is looking into setting up a Mid west Distribution point, currently we operate out of Ohio, but are looking at Iowa because of its great geographical point to the midwest.

So back to why I am here, The owners of the company are avid Bowhunters, and since they love to bowhunt and need a building out here they have decided to find a small farm, that they could also put a building on, and operate out of. Its a small company so they only will need 3-4000 square feet. They are interested in a 50-60 acre farm that they could bowhunt early, and also check up on the distribution point while they do it.

So my question is, if you could hunt any County in Iowa, which would it be? :confused:

I too am personally interested in this too, because we are going to be allowed to bowhunt when we take out supplies to restock the distribution point, so any help is apreciated by me, and the owners.

I'm sure that there will be some difficulty getting a tag, but the hope of hunting is all I need.

Thanks for your help, and hopefully the threat of some Ohio hunters dont have you guys giving us counties in the wrong direction. :D

Thanks again,
Rudy

Do we get a finders fee?????? :confused::way:

Till now that is.

Thanks again,
Rudy
You do realize that you all must establish residency to be able to get resident bow tags, right? Either that or you will have to enter the NR draw. Just establishing a business address does not entitle you to resident tags.

Does your business need access to a local airport? If so, look for areas in SE Iowa to be served by the Eastern Iowa Airport or the Moline airport, or the more central location south of Des Moines.

No airport needed, we will have to drive trucks and trailers out and yes like I mentioned quickly in the first post, we are prepared for the Draw.

My thought was why not try to draw for a tag, and then since I will be going out there monthly anyway, if everything lines up while I am out there I could take some vacation and hunt before I come back home.

The owners know this too, you have to live at the residence for 6 months and 1 day per year right? No chance they will, but just making sure.

Thanks again

Guthrie has some of the best land IMO. It is right along I-80 about 1/2 hour west of Des Moines. Very hilly with large sections. Lots of timber. Monsters live there.

I'm not an expert, but finding a smaller sixty acre parcel with good bow hunting would not be hard in (Clarke, Decatur, Wayne, Lucas, Warren, Madison) and all are within an hour to 1 1/2 of major cities

I would say for business and logistic purposes you are going to want to stay somewhat close to 80. There are many good counties all along I 80 starting as soon as you enter the state from the East. Des Moines is our major hub, but Dubuque, Iowa City, Cedar Rapids, Waterloo/Cedar Falls would all offer opportunites. I would find a area that makes the most sense logistically and then contact a realtor in that area. With management most properties in those areas will offer opportunites :way:

Please ingore 1 and 2 on the map that was provided, there are no big deer in NE Iowa :D

Good luck with your venture. I'm all for businesses coming to Iowa. How many employees would be based here? We could use some added jobs.

Last edited:
I would stay away from central and north west Iowa. There is very little timber and the good bucks/deer are very hit and miss.

County doesn't matter if u have good habitat, food & neighbors. The part I would control is closer to OH & interstate. East side of state.

Thanks for the feedback guys, tried to find time during the week to get back on and post but couldn't.

I know the owners were talking southern iowa below i 80 because there is something call spee dee shipping out there. They are like ups or fedex bug are only in that region.

I believe they cover Iowa, Wisconsin, Illinois, the Dakotas and Minnesota. Apparently they are really cheap and if your shipping say right next door it will cost say 9.50 in shipping, or if you shipp from the furthest speedee distance it will only cost .25 cents more.

So basically the owners thought if there isnt much difference shipping great lenghts speedee, they would go far south of iowa to try to ship to southern no speedee areas where it would need to go ups or fedex, to try and save say a louisiana customer more money.

So maybe i should ask about any southern iowa countys where lands not crazy priced? Anyone know of good countys?

Oh and thanks for that link on kills per county, im going to check it out after i post this, it should help a ton.

As far as employees, sorry but not as much as you guys would like to hear, were not gm or anything. Maybe only 5 or 6, we do injection molding and other casting manufacturing, its just to expensive to set up two factories right now, maybe in a coulpe years but for now we plan on making it here in ohio then personally driving it out freight, and then have a few employees ship it out year round from the iowa facillity.

orry im not referencing names when i answer everybodys comments, typing on this phone is hard enough without having to back and see who asked or commented originally.

Thanks again for the help guys.

Top Bottom