Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

HIGH COUNTRY SCORES

H

HIGH COUNTRY

Well it seems like a long season already but I finally got'er done. I've lost 2 nice deer this year with marginal hits. One were I shot this buck and the other in KS last week, a nice 10 point I hit in the thigh we never found. Anyway hear is the story. Last night I got to the land saw 4 turkeys and while I was getting dressed I say a little 6 point walking across the open cut bean field. He came out of were I was going so I said to myself this might be the night. Got settled in the stand facing that cold north wind, man was it chilly. I thought I dressed for it. At 4:15 a doe comes out into the cut corn mills around and goes further out. About 10 minutes later another does comes out right under my other stand I use for south winds. I immediately put the binocs. on her and looked behind her and there he was, standing about 10 yards back in the timber. Only about 25 yards from the other stand. Know I'm thinking I should have been over there but that doe would have busted me before I saw him. He then just walks right out in the middle of this neck of corn field 45 yards away looking around. He was all puffed up and not scared of anything. I knew it was the one I had a picture of on my trail camera in Sept. because he had a right crab claw at the end of his beam. The wind was perfect out of the north for this stand, I knew they would never know I was there. After about 3 minutes or so I grunted, he looks my way. I know he's thinking who's butt I'm gonna kick know. He then turns and starts to walk towards the doe out in the field. I grunt again, he stops looks my way. I'm starting to get a little nervous by know, I may not get a shot at this hog. Then he walks even more away so I pull out the primos can call and make 2 turns of the can. He pissed know I could tell when he stoped. Right then I had a doe crash through the fence behing me I never new was there. He heard that and puffed up even more. I thought he was going going gone but then he turned up into a little finger of trees that seperates the fields. This little finger has some old abandoned barns and chicken coops. I thought to myself he's gonna make a circle behind me. I kept looking and there he comes. Right passed some rubs to the fence line trail. I knew I'd have a shot if he kept on the trail to me. He stopped ripped up a tree 30 yards away. I'm thinking I need to step up on the top off my ladder stand to shoot over this one limb before he get too close. I step up and "Creek" the stands makes a noise but he never heard it. I draw immediately he now picks up the pace and goes right too a scent wick I had out down wind of me. As soon as he cleared this one last tree I let her fly! Perfect double lung shot. I saw the arrow all the way. It looked like slow motion. He jumps the fence and stands out in the bare bean field straight down wind of me. I knew I hit him good. I get the binocs. up and he's just standing there looking and wondering what just happened. He slowly walks a little further. I can tell by know he's getting weak. He then walks a little more and lays down. He gets up and lays down 2 more times. By know I'm shaking the tree I'm so wired! I call my bro back in KS and give him the play by play on what this buck is doing. I can hardly stay in the tree right I'm shaking all over. The buck lays on his side and starts kicking, I know he's done know. I watch him for another 10 minutes then slowly walk out to him ready for a shot if I see any movement. Get to him and he's done! What a hunt for me. Sorry the story is so long but had to share! Not sure what he'll go but the biggest I've shot yet! Enjoy.
HIGH COUNTRY

6652DCP_1166_r1_r2_r2.JPG

6652DCP_1173.JPG

6652DCP_1171.JPG

6652IMG_0051.JPG

Nice looking buck. I'm guessing the can is what brought him in. I rattled mine in to about 60 yards then he stood there for about 5 minutes then i used the can and ended up shooting him at 13 yards. That was the last sound he heard.

Top Bottom