Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

High Shot-Need Advice

The Situation:
Last Thursday(11/11) guessing 170's ten comes in on my drag line. I drew at 30yds should of shot but didn't. He came within ten yards broadside I unleashed the rage, it was a little high any higher I would of spined him. Mind you I'm up about 20ft. He bounded off about 40-50yds then walked slowly to the creek bottom. I sat there for three hours then got down. Arrow was a pass through and he poured bubbly blood for 150yds to the creek then nothing. We went back Friday morning and bumped him, found marginal bubbly blood, we backed out. We looked all over Sunday and I going to look in one more spot this Saturday. Any advice would be greatly appreciated!
Thanks
Mac

sounds almost like a 1 lung shot, but ive never known a deer to live through the night with one lung, especially with a rage! being as though you bumped him the next morning means you hit something good enough to make him sick though. Im a huge believer in the rage broadheads almost to the point where if you hit them behind the shoulder and in front of the back quarter your going to kill them. I would look, look , and look some more.

good luck.

My guess and its a guess...you shot straps or you'd have a dead deer real quick.
Hope I'm wrong. Good luck.

Sounds like a single lung to me as well, and I'm suprised he was still going. My guess would be the punctured lung started filling with blood, as to why it slowed down. Like Will said, I'm suprised he made it through the night but I've heard many a story about big bucks living a couple days on the 1 lung. Keep looking though because I think eventually he will expire. Good luck!!

I agree with DOR, I think you're in the backstraps. If you left him overnight and didn't recover him then you didn't get a lung. The backbone comes down lower than a guy thinks.

I hope I'm wrong though and you find him.

First off you need to go to your local archery shop and get that hoyt tuned in! Don't worry Mac if he's dead I'll find him shed hunting this spring! If he's as big as you say he'll look good with my collection! Jk

Two blade rage? If so, a guy must ask what position was the broadhead when it deployed? If it was vertical then a high shot could be more fatal than you'd think, if it deployed perfectly horizontal on a high shot then you only cut backstraps and he's not dead.

If you hit one lung, from that angle, it would've been the off side lung and cut high...which would HAVE been fatal by the next morning. Since you bumped him I'm guessing it wasn't a lung shot either.

Best of luck in the recovery...it's good to know you're putting in the effort to find him.

Top Bottom