Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Hit Buck

bowman13

This last Sunday morning i had the privilege of sitting in a stand that just has that good vibe when you first sit down. 2 years in a row bucks have been shot out of this spot, a 140 and a 125. It is the pinch points of pinch points. While getting to the stand an hour early thanks to day light savings time i busted a tank of deer off the bean field edge. Then had a 130-140 class main frame 8 with 2 flyers off his left g2 come into 70 yrds chasing a doe. After a good 15 minutes he busted me big time. Took off jumped the river and out of my life, so i thought. 10 minutes later had a decent 2.5 run 150 yrds through the timber, then rattled in yet another decent 2.5. Right about 7:25 the same buck that busted me earlier entered the cut beans right at about 40 yrds and started walking the bean edge right to the base of the stand.I stood up quickly as he went behind a tree, grabbed my bow, and before I know it im at full draw with what would be my biggest buck by far, at 5 yrds, perfectly broadside, slightly walking, 3 or 4 yards from the base of the tree. What else can you ask for!? It happened so fast i shot....and hit high right below the spine, but i was pretty high up in the tree so i thought maybe there was enough angle on the arrow that it caught lung or a little bit of heart. Buck fever i guess. As he runs away he turns away from me and i can see arrow on both sides of him and the exit wound looked like it was right were you want it. As he ran away he was making a really weird noise that sounded like there was either blood in his body cavity swishing back and forth, or he was breathing out of the the hole in his side. Found the broadhead half of my arrow. All the blades on the 3 blade rage looked like they had been deployed, but the rubber band was not broken. Blood trail was pathetic in the beginning, then got progressively better for a while. The blood said lung, bright red almost pink, foamy, and we could see visible chunks of lung on the arrow and in the blood. We tracked him for damn near a mile he ran across the creek, through the plowing, hopped a pretty high cattle fence with ease(which made us think that he wasn't hit as bad as we thought). Ran the entire pasture went under a bridge and on to other land. After getting permission we finally picked up the blood trail 40 yards down the creek headed into some willows. Great blood, he was running into saplings, and we found a big hank of lung. Then nothing. Not one speck of blood. We started doing circle around last blood. Once our circles started getting 150 to 200 yards away from last blood we started to grid back and forth. Absolutely nothing. We have no idea where he went, but we did hear a big group of crows on the far side of the farm, so we are going to go back and see if maybe we can find something that will show which direction he went. Any suggestions?

If he ran that far and you had blood most of the way, wouldn't he have pretty much bled out? That long ago, yotes surely drug him off somewhere by now.

You can never wait to long if you question the shot! I would rather risk the coyotes than to bump him and find him during shed season! My GF shot a buck this year and we had GREAT blood and then we busted a bunch of deer out of a bedding area and found that he was one of them. His bed was bloody but starting to clot. Thank god we decided to back out, we found him 150 yards away the next morning.

i had this happen once, almost exactly the same. I had melting snow on a 60 degree day so i had to go for him as the blood was washing away. every time id get within 80 yards hed get up and run off with great blood between beds. I got only one lung and pushed him in a 3 mile circle almost back to where it all started when i lost blood. I grid searched, i circled, and i did it multiple days before giving up. a month later during slug season i found him with 11 inches of my arrow still in him all ate up by yotes. he died 30 yards from where i last found blood. he had tucked in next to a fallen tree in some tall switchgrass. i probably walked within 10 feet of him a dozen times and never saw him. the yotes had the grass all matted down and thats why i was able to spot him, along with all the fur that made it look like a deer had exploded. My best guess is he ran out of blood. Id keep searching and maybe take a fine tooth comb with. i learned a ton from that deer alone! Good luck!

That's what I was thinking.... Good blood for the better part of a mile, I'd guess his low blood light was on and he hunkered down for a LONG nap

Top Bottom