Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Hitting the horns and grunt tube

IAhunter24

Has anybody started hitting the horns together or using the grunt tube with any luck yet? I normally don't even pack the calls until Halloween weekend. However, I had a few small bucks pushing does around Friday evening. I'll probably do a little calling this upcoming weekend. Hopefully get the attention of a mature buck.

no luck on the rattle n grunt , but i did whack a nice doe around 830 after i shut up. she strolled by at 15yds and was alone (i think) stopped her and hit her behind the right shoulder and passed through to the left leg . she shoveled the forest floor with her chest for 20 yds and piled up at 30. easy track. montec 100 grn easton axis. arrow broke n half but seemed to make it through all the way.quick n clean.

Hit the grunt on a small 8 this past weekend. He heard it, but wasn't interested. Also did some light rattling a couple times in early morning, but probably not loud enough. I have only been able to rattle in small bucks when rattling blind in the past. Have been leaning more toward using them only when I have something spotted.

My opinion is that rattling is a time sensitive thing and, even in best times, only works every so often. But I NEVER go to a stand without a grunt tube. It has turned a deer back to me more times than I can count...even during times of the year you wouldn't think so.

That said, I did 2 short blind rattling and grunting sequences late Sunday morning with no results.

NWBuck

I agree with the grunt call! I have grunted multiple bucks in over the past few years. But i can not say that i have ever "blind" rattled a buck bigger than 115"... Maybe i just suck at it but most of the time i do not see anything after a rattle sequence.

I rattle during peak rut and last year I couldn't put my antlers down fast enough when the buck would run in- had a different buck every hour it seemed last year (nov 6th was best for me)

the buck I harvested with my bow last year busted me, was off snorting and I rattled him back- once rut hits- rattle away IMO

but if they aren't in rut- I have seen many run off in the opposite direction as well.

Top Bottom