Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

hog arrow?

mudingbuck

PMA Member
I am looking for a good set up for my wife's bow for hunting hogs. She has a 2013 hoyt charger. She pulls 50 pounds and and has a 24 inch draw. She needs a heavy arrow with a solid fixed blade.I was thinking a easton axis FMJ with a muzzy phantom head. Any suggestions?

Just go with the heaviest arrow that she can shoot consistently and go with a Magnus buzzcut. Or a muzzy. Heck any good sharp fixed head will work, but none of them will work if you hit that cender block of a shoulder blade that hogs have.

I don't know if this will help you but i saw that someone made an explosive tip for your arrows that shoots a .357 round, saw it on tv,said it was good for hogs!

I don't know if this will help you but i saw that someone made an explosive tip for your arrows that shoots a .357 round, saw it on tv,said it was good for hogs!

Sounds illegal as %$!#.

FMJs would be a good choice. I have buzzcuts on mine, only shot one deer this year but they hit like a ton of bricks on that one deer.

Things may have changed but 2 yrs ago I bought the Easton Axis FMJs, looking for the heaviest arrow I could find. On the shaft they read 11.3 GPI.
Mine are 24 inches exactly. That gives a total weight of 271.2 grains not including the feathers. I tipped them 125 grain Montecs which adds up to 396 grains. If I'm lucky I probably have 30 grains +- with the fletching. 424 grains total doesn't seem that heavy to me.

Long story short I'd keep looking. Might have to look at aluminum shafts to find something heavier.

Good luck. Let us know what you find.

You should be ok with FMJs and a good fixed blade. Are you going to Texas? Even Epic N-Fused will work. I'd bet most shots will be under 30 yards and you should be fine if you stay behind the shoulder blade!

Is be very hard pressed to say any setup with that kind if draw length and poundage is ethical for hogs. Those shields are nasty. My boar was 323 lbs and h hit him behind the shield and my arrow stopped in his heart! That's shooting 272 fps with a 510 grain arrow! It's like 87 KE.

Is be very hard pressed to say any setup with that kind if draw length and poundage is ethical for hogs. Those shields are nasty. My boar was 323 lbs and h hit him behind the shield and my arrow stopped in his heart! That's shooting 272 fps with a 510 grain arrow! It's like 87 KE.

So I should tell my wife she can't hunt hogs unless her arms grow? That will go over about as good as telling a fat kid he can't have any cake on his birthday.

We are going to Magnolia Arkansas!

Arkansas.. Texas...its a fine line. As for ethical poundage, they are nonnative, destructive, nasty animals that need to be removed from the landscape. While I respect the native game I hunt, I have no respect for feral hogs. If your wife wounds one and it dies somewhere, who cares?!?! It won't go to waste. Other hogs will eat it. Take the shot!!

I am not interested and either is she, she likes her bow. We will stick with a 200 pounder or so. We aren't looking for a trophy we are looking for some good eaters!

I've seen em die with the most marginal shot, and I've seen em live with the best of shots. Just tell her to keep shootin! Her set up should be plenty with a heavy arrow and a good broadhead.

Heck, I've killed a bunch of hogs with a 22 mag to the neck and behind the shoulder. Can't tell me her set up won't kill a hog.

I am not interested and either is she, she likes her bow. We will stick with a 200 pounder or so. We aren't looking for a trophy we are looking for some good eaters!

Big boars taste fairly nasty. 100 pounders are the best. Sows: they all taste pretty good. My favorite was a 160 lb sow.

I've seen em die with the most marginal shot, and I've seen em live with the best of shots. Just tell her to keep shootin! Her set up should be plenty with a heavy arrow and a good broadhead.

Heck, I've killed a bunch of hogs with a 22 mag to the neck and behind the shoulder. Can't tell me her set up won't kill a hog.

EXACTLY!!

We got her set up with some FMJ with a 150 grain Muzzy FE phantom. Arrow weighs 477 grains and we are going try and bump up the pounds in the next few months! Wish us luck!!!!!

Not Legal in Iowa. Already talked to the Chief of DNR in DesMoines. Said no way will it ever be legal in the state of Iowa.

Top Bottom