Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Hogs!!! If you ever see any kill them fast!!

letemgrow

PMA Member
Apparently there have been 10 guilts and 2 boars running lose since late July in my area and no one was ever informed. Some people may think its great to have hogs around, but all you will end up with is hogs and nothig else if they are not all taken care of so if you ever see even one out kill it!!! These 12 can turn into 60 into 150 in no time and then there are no stopping them. They ahve rooted at least 2 miles of creek bottom since they have been out and the last mile was done in the past couple weeks!!!

RussianHogs.jpg

I wonder if a Hog drive would shake some out. Ask Bonker to come down and lend a hand. He has to be a hog expert by now?:grin:

These are about 3 miles from the IA line so if we do not get them all killed it won't be long before they are across the line. Anyone would be money ahead to shoot them tagged or not and pay the LO for them if the law is you cannot shoot a tagged pig. These just mature this fall and got out of the pen so hopefully all will be killed quickly...we already have 6 down.

Hope you getm all taken care of...they are no good. I hear they go from domesticated to wild in no time.

My buddy had 6 that was turned loose and in 3 years they have killed 80 in 3 years so you can only imagine how many are really there now.

From the Iowa DNR Hunting regs (http://www.iowadnr.gov/law/files/huntingregs.pdf ) page 43:

Feral Hogs
Feral hogs are trying to gain a foothold in
certain parts of Iowa. They use heavy cover, are
difficult to find and even more difficult to hunt.
Hunters are encouraged to watch for feral hogs
while out hunting other species and to kill them
on sight. It is legal to kill feral hogs on your own
property and on public lands where hunting is
allowed. Trespassing on private land to shoot a
feral hog is not allowed.
Feral hogs are not native to Iowa and no
permit is needed to take a feral hog.
Feral hogs are aggressive and prone to attack.
They spread diseases to humans, pets and
domestic animals. These animals damage crops
and forest lands which contributes to soil erosion
and siltation. They also compete with native
wildlife for food. They eat anything they can
catch including reptiles, amphibians, deer fawns,
bird eggs and newly born livestock.
If you should happen to kill a feral hog,
contact the local wildlife biologist (see p. 45).
The DNR would like to collect a blood sample.

People should not even be allowed to keep those dang things in pens to hunt or sell, it is like selling zebra muscles for aquariums...nothing good is going to come of it!!!

Round em up with dogs, buckshot, rifles, etc etc. I would think you could get rid of them pretty quick with dogs running them.

You don't want hogs in your area.

We have plenty of them on the hunting clubs located between the Ms river and the levee, where much of the hunting area is in my part of Ms.

They destroy food plots and crops. Hunting clubs shoot them on sight, try traps, dogs, etc. The numbers can be kept down somewhat but I believe the females can produce offspring at least twice a year. They are prolific, savvy (avoid traps after their 1st experience with one, are out mostly at night, spend most of their time in thick cover. Just about impossible to ged rid of if they get started. I can't imagine the damage they could do to the Iowa corn crops and they will ruin your food plots,
and keep deer away from certain highly attractive food sources (eg persimmons).

However, they do eat good! Don't leave 'em laying....clean them, chill them good for a few days, and enjoy.

I recently did a magazine article on Hog control for Wildlife Control Technology magazine. It was a two part series that ran earlier this year. It profiled how Missouri made some serious mistakes when hogs first became a problem and how Kansas took the opposite approach when they became a problem there. In Missouri anyone is encouraged to shoot wild hogs on sight and in Kansas it is illegal to shoot them. Now Missouri has a horrible problem with hogs and they are spreading to Iowa. Kansas has almost eliminated them through government trappers. In fact they have been eliminated over much of the state and only a few pockets remain to be taken out. I interviewed Chad Richardson of the USDA, he is the primary guy that does the program in Kansas, and he has some very importnat things to say about hogs. Things that the Iowa DNR should very definitely be listening to.

It was a very interesting approach. Not sure if the article is available online or not, but it will help you understand this problem a lot better.

It should be illegal to even have those things on a property and there should be very very stiff fines if they get out of a pen, and any owners should have to pay a fee every year to have them so when they do get out there is funding to take them out fast.

Keep the retarted things in an enclosure in a secondary enclosure out of a flood plain, away from trees and in a desert with all of them being radio tagged....that's what I vote for anyways :D

Having that type of setup and selling russian boars is kinda like farming johnson grass or serecia lespedeza...its only a matter of time before some get out and then they cannot be stopped.

my uncle saw 3 on his mail route. i hope to run into them durring shotgun season...if not before

There are sposedly a few running down around my grandpas farm in Louisa county. When they first appeared the DNR put out a hog trap on the neighbors but never caught anything. In fact I sit next to that thing turkey hunting every year and it is still rigged open.

Last year during shotgun season they killed 5 or 6 down in the bottoms below ours. If hogs get into Iowa, you won't hear the farmers complaining about deer no more.

In Texas they allow you to shoot them out of Helicopters and they estimate the herd in the hundreds of thousands. We dont want them. Good luck at eradicating them and hope you get them all.

Update:

The other 6 are captured and back in the pen and hopefully will stay that way till they are sold in December. All pigs appear to be contained either by lead or pen now. I heard from a guy who heard from a guy (you know how this usually goes :D ), that some people near Centerville are turning them loose to hunt. If anyone knows about this and it's true...I would get the DNR involved ASAP before it is a real problem!!!

Top Bottom