Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Homemade ???

duckaholic

I have been looking around for ideas on building my own trail cam. After reviewing some of the plans I'm wondering if it will be much cheaper.
1.)What do you guys build yours for $$, and what have you paid for pre built ones?
2.)If you build your own where do you get most of your supplies? I have read HomeBrew website and there seems to be a million places to buy the supplies.
Thanks duckaholic

I figure I can build a 35mm for about $90.00 and a digital one for under $200.00. Alot of it depends on what you can get your case and camera for, those are probably the most expensive parts.

I probably use a more expensive case than other use. You could probably cut $20.00 or so off the cost if you worked at it?

I buy most of my supplies from the hardware store and Radio Shack. All depends on the design you use. There are a couple website specifically selling homebrew supplies you can get a lot of parts from them, sort of a one stop shopping. Otherwise you can hunt around a little and find the same stuff?

Hag's custom game camera supplies

Custom Game Cams

Thanks for the plug Patrick.....the checks in the mail......
grin.gif

I'm presently closed for the hunting season, but I will be reopen come Jan. 1st. I have a new line up of homemade trail cam parts that I'll be selling come 2004.

The best thing about building your own is knowing how to fix them when something goes wrong. The guys who build year round are always willing to help so online service is always available. It's also nice to create trail cams specific to your needs with custom time delays and modified sensors that trigger the way you want them to.

Like Patrick mentioned, the cases and cameras are usually better then what the commercial units use, and you can really customize the enclosure to look like your hunting area.

Here's one I did last year to match the trees in my hunting area.

hags

Attachments

• 35510-Seaman Cam 4.jpg
    35510-Seaman Cam 4.jpg
    46.5 KB · Views: 249
Hags,
Your a genious!
peace.gif
That cam looks great for being homemade. I have also heard that that cabelas is selling a cam for 69.99 called Stealth?? or somethin. Are these very good cameras. My objective is not to make one high quality camera but to make multiple cameras so I can track down the bigguns better. Thanks for the help!

I don't really mess with the commercial models much. I've heard mixed reviews on the trail cams under $100. Usually the camera used in these models are pretty cheap. Short flash range and false triggers from junk sensors are the leading problems. I like the Owl PF 35mm cameras for the extended flash range, it reaches 33' and produces good photos. Nothing worse then a pic. with just eyes looking back at you and you can't make out the deer because the flash couldn't reach the distance the sensor could.
A lot of guys also complain about the number of false pictures...sending in a roll of 24 and only getting a couple animal pics. is depressing. The film and processing cost too much to not use a reliable sensor....If I get 2 or 3 false pics. I'm upset with my setup. I expect game on my game cam pictures.
The parts for a really good homemade trail camera don't cost much more then the $70 and it's a lot of fun to build.....gives you something to do when winter sets in.

hags

Hags showed his, ill show you mine.

Attachments

• 35545-ghosts1.1.jpg
    35545-ghosts1.1.jpg
    30.2 KB · Views: 236
Oh yeah....I almost forgot.....

The moderator to this forum knows a ton about homemade trail cameras.....submit all questions to him....
grin.gif
grin.gif

hags

Digital cameras are great due to the instant feedback factor, no more waiting for one hour photos.

The Owl camera Hag mentioned can take a better picture than many of the store bought cameras.

Here's a couple photos from a home built Owl PF using one of hags sensor designs that I built for a one of my friends...(part of my terms of my fee is I get copies of any good photos!)

10point3a.jpg

10point5a.jpg

Man that guy builds some good cameras.

I don't qet too carried away with my camo I just put them in a box and make sure its water tight.

Here's a couple pictures friend e-mailed me off one of the digital I built for him. Good picture quality but a little weaker flash when compared to the 35mm pictures posted above.

TM_pwr_flasha.jpg

TM_pwr_flashc.jpg

i really like that homemade job. i would love to make one. i do have a wal-mart special and believe it or not it takes good pics. building my own would be fun. hope to do that soon.
893USA1-thumb[1].gif

Thanks for the help fellas. I am now building my 3rd trail cam!!! I only have 60 bucks in the 1st cam and 60 bucks in the 2nd. Got a deal on some Radio Shack sensors (RS-425's) they were marked down to 10 bucks a piece!!! Thanks again for your help. Now on to hanging these things. Any good tips as far as height, direction(because of sun), weather cond, etc.......
wink.gif

Top Bottom