Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

House File 2015 - Landowner Tag Changes

As a landowner I don't like this change (age structure will be impacted some by this). Basically all it does for the state is take license revenue away, and I'm surprised they passed this. Next year they will be saying we need more revenue and that will put pressure on allowing more nonresidents, crossbows, etc....

As a landowner I don't like this change (age structure will be impacted some by this). Basically all it does for the state is take license revenue away, and I'm surprised they passed this. Next year they will be saying we need more revenue and that will put pressure on allowing more nonresidents, crossbows, etc....
Not following how the age structure will be impacted, am I missing something? Before the change if a LO had a tag and it was getting towards the end of the season and they were waiting on the big boy that doesn't show, how many went ahead and filled the tag with a younger deer?

Not following how the age structure will be impacted, am I missing something? Before the change if a LO had a tag and it was getting towards the end of the season and they were waiting on the big boy that doesn't show, how many went ahead and filled the tag with a younger deer?
I was thinking that it’s going to be easier to kill the deer you’re after- always gonna have a valid tag? I don’t know

This makes it WAY WAY more likely to kill a deer. You go.from having to pick a season to 4 months straight. 100% will have an impact.

The early muzzy season is a gigantic issue if you can in fact hunt that on LO tag. That time of year, with a gun, with mega increase in number of people doing it. Yikes.

This makes it WAY WAY more likely to kill a deer. You go.from having to pick a season to 4 months straight. 100% will have an impact.

The early muzzy season is a gigantic issue if you can in fact hunt that on LO tag. That time of year, with a gun, with mega increase in number of people doing it. Yikes.
I agree that it increases a landowner's chances of harvesting deer on their own properties, but if their standards don't drop, then what's the negative impact? They would have harvested those deer if / when the situation presented anyway. It just increases their likelihood of the situation presenting. Once the tag is filled, it's filled. And, a majority of landowner hunters already don't allow others to hunt on their properties, so who additionally are they taking opportunities away from with this implemented floating tag change?

It is basically 4 months straight anyways. If early muzzleloader was that shit hot it would have been more sought after. The majority of bowhunters hunt the cold fronts in that week anyways and usually it is just hot. I get the range of the gun but still. Whether you burn your floater tag or you burn a paid tag, you'll still be thinking about how killing a deer early or burning a tag will affect the plans you had for the other 2 tags you can get. 100% will have an impact...a minimal impact.

I agree that it increases a landowner's chances of harvesting deer on their own properties, but if their standards don't drop, then what's the negative impact? They would have harvested those deer if / when the situation presented anyway. It just increases their likelihood of the situation presenting. Once the tag is filled, it's filled. And, a majority of landowner hunters already don't allow others to hunt on their properties, so who additionally are they taking opportunities away from with this implemented floating tag change?
It negatively impacts everyone around the area and that compounded affect of EVERYONE doing it degrades the overall hunting quality for EVERYONE.

If you have one season to harvest said animal you may or may not get it done. By having ALL SEASONS, the odds go way up your going to get it done. Now your neighbor is doing the same thing. and their neighbor and their neighbor. Now the overall number of mature animals goes down in the whole area. This whole thing snowballs and soon people are shooting not-so-mature animals because they don't have one that year.

This is the EXACT same overall negative affect of crossbows, rifles, or anything else that makes it EASIER.

At this point I hope they take a tag away for everyone.

It would seem to me that this is a part of the plan. They don’t do anything like this without a plan for what’s next…

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It negatively impacts everyone around the area and that compounded affect of EVERYONE doing it degrades the overall hunting quality for EVERYONE.

If you have one season to harvest said animal you may or may not get it done. By having ALL SEASONS, the odds go way up your going to get it done. Now your neighbor is doing the same thing. and their neighbor and their neighbor. Now the overall number of mature animals goes down in the whole area. This whole thing snowballs and soon people are shooting not-so-mature animals because they don't have one that year.

This is the EXACT same overall negative affect of crossbows, rifles, or anything else that makes it EASIER.

Hey, you forgot to add compound bows to your list of weapons that made deer hunting EASIER. Seems these are always left out when talking about weapons that made deer hunting easier, wonder why?

It would seem to me that this is a part of the plan. They don’t do anything like this without a plan for what’s next…

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Yes, the biggest loser in this bill is the state of Iowa (assuming I understand this bill correctly). Let's say a landowner is very picky and only has 1 or 2 bucks he is after. Now he can just buy the one cheap landowner tag and roll it all season. Lots of lost revenue will result from less shotgun and muzzleloader tags sold. Age structure will be hit from the less picky landowners who buys a landowner tag and may bow hunt a couple times. Now the shotgun season arrives, and he says hey I've still got my landowner tag to burn. I'll go shotgun hunt with my cheap landowner tag and put a buck in the freezer. Just one example. Maybe the state will raise the price of the landowner tag to account for lost revenue?

Hey, you forgot to add compound bows to your list of weapons that made deer hunting EASIER. Seems these are always left out when talking about weapons that made deer hunting easier, wonder why?
I would guess because none of us have ever had to use any other type of bow, compound is all we've ever known so we have no other baseline to measure from . But yes, obviously compound bows make bow hunting easier than traditional bows would be. That doesn't change the fact that every single change that makes hunting easier will have a negative effect on the herd size and age .

As long as we're all playing by the same rules, I don't care about what deer my neighbors harvest. Never have. Never will. Their land. Their tags. Their choices. Floating landowner tags have zero impact on this, for me anyway. I know there are several on here that make pacts with their neighbors that deer under a certain age, or specific photographed / named deer, etc. are off limits specific years, but I don't play that game. To each their own though.

Food plots?? Heated blinds...can you imagine the age structure we could all enjoy if they made it illegal to hunt bucks over corn or brassicas in heated blinds during late season?? You damn well better save your floating tag for this! Look, I'm not fond of this law either and no idea how it snuck up on us but there is no way to control your neighbor. If he decides to kill three immature bucks, he's going to do it with 2 paid tags and a floater or not. They're called bad neighborhoods.

Food plots?? Heated blinds...can you imagine the age structure we could all enjoy if they made it illegal to hunt bucks over corn or brassicas in heated blinds during late season?? You damn well better save your floating tag for this! Look, I'm not fond of this law either and no idea how it snuck up on us but there is no way to control your neighbor. If he decides to kill three immature bucks, he's going to do it with 2 paid tags and a floater or not. They're called bad neighborhoods.
With that philosophy we should just make grenades and bazooka legal

Who was the sponsor of this and how did it move so quickly and unknown? In principal it makes sense. With all the other inclusion of things that make harvest easier this will only lead to less mature deer on the landscape. Maybe time for the removal of landowner tags all together.

...."deer only deer hunting license, to the owner of a farm unit or a member of the owner's family, but only a total of two licenses for both"...

ok...does this mean the licenses can be used by the farm unit owner's family member, WITHOUT the farm unit owner, hunting with them in the field?

ie...Grandpa (the farm unit owner), letting his son or grandson hunt with the (2) landowner tags, while grandpa is not in the field with them...

I don't see where that is clarified.....that's not good.

I get the cumulative effect, but with all the crap being thrown at Whitetail hunting lately, this ranks fairly low (IMO). I'm more concerned how it came in undetected and same with the seemingly late warning on the forest reserve program. What ever happened to Fishbonker...he would have been all over this!
Good question...... Where is Fishbonker?

...."deer only deer hunting license, to the owner of a farm unit or a member of the owner's family, but only a total of two licenses for both"...

ok...does this mean the licenses can be used by the farm unit owner's family member, WITHOUT the farm unit owner, hunting with them in the field?

ie...Grandpa (the farm unit owner), letting his son or grandson hunt with the (2) landowner tags, while grandpa is not in the field with them...

I don't see where that is clarified.....that's not good.
I don’t think they have changed- just they now float?

Yes, the biggest loser in this bill is the state of Iowa (assuming I understand this bill correctly). Let's say a landowner is very picky and only has 1 or 2 bucks he is after. Now he can just buy the one cheap landowner tag and roll it all season. Lots of lost revenue will result from less shotgun and muzzleloader tags sold. Age structure will be hit from the less picky landowners who buys a landowner tag and may bow hunt a couple times. Now the shotgun season arrives, and he says hey I've still got my landowner tag to burn. I'll go shotgun hunt with my cheap landowner tag and put a buck in the freezer. Just one example. Maybe the state will raise the price of the landowner tag to account for lost revenue?
What they should do- I’m general- the floating tag costs “$insert number” regular tags are normal. Idk- I think floating tag should be more money- even for a LOT

Top Bottom