Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

How cold is too cold??

SaskGuy

Guys, help me out, how cold is too cold for a trail cam to work. I want to check out the feed station I have in my yard as I'm going through 100 pounds of grain a night and am seeing some huge tracks and rubs in the area. Will the cold Saskatchewan winter, (-30) shut it down and drain the batteries, DC240NT or anyone else who lives in an area where it gets cold, can you give me some advice or heads up, I really want one but hate to spend the $$ if it isn't going to work!
cool.gif

I had both my cameras out last winter when it was -20/25 F at night for a week. Seemed to work just fine, although some pics were alittle darker then normal. As if the flash had slowed down or lost some power. I have a Camtracker and a Deercam. Both seem to work well in the cold, but maybe the Deercam works alittle better when really cold. If you have a good camera system, then the biggest problem would be keeping the batteries fresh. I have heard that the cheaper units are a waste of time in any kind of cold weather. I guess its like anything else, you get what you pay for. Good luck. I'm curious to see some of those pics.

IT really depends on the system like DC said. My 35mms ran really good last year. I changed the 9volt once a month and never had any problems. The camera batteries lasted all year. It never seemed to shut down either.
The digitals are a difference story. They have a tendancy to to shut down in extreme cold -10F.

Good luck

What has everybody else experianced over the winter?

Top Bottom