Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

How do you sharpen broadheads?

T

thegeneral

just wondering how to sharpen my broadheads. i tried using one of those handheld sharpeners, but the tip on my broadhead blocks me from sharpening the entire razor. (the part near the tip) also, i've tried sharpening the blades individually on a stone and have had some success, but it hurts my fingers. any ideas? i'm shooting thunderhead 100 grains.

My best advice on sharpening your own broadheads...don't. Get new heads or replacement blades. I used to stone sharpen individual blades as well, but two things stand out 1) I'm not sure you can ever get them as sharp as new blades and 2) You risk messing up the balance of the head resulting in potentially poor arrow flight. I use the "used" heads and blades for practice shooting,but always new at an animal. Just my 2 cents. Good Hunting!

NW Buck

I Ditto NWBuck's reply. I recommend buying laser sharpened replacement blades. With a good Lung hit, it won't matter either way. But with an Almost good hit, it might make a big difference. Arteries are like rubber bands. Sharp blades cut them, dull ones stretch them out of the way.

IaCraig

I sharpen mine with a Gatco sharpening system I bought from Cabela's. It's a system that holds the blade at a certain angle so you don't screw up the angle of the edge. My hunting partner uses stones and leather. We both sharpen them until you can cleanly slice through a stretched rubber band with only the pressure of the arrow. We've also noticed we can shave the hair on our arms with them. Our wives don't think it's cool having patches of hair missing on our arms!!
cool.gif

I use a mill bastard file on solid steel BH's.

[This message has been edited by BW (edited 11-16-2001).]

Top Bottom