Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

How high is high enough... scent control?

stevep

I've got a chance to hunt tomorrow, but I'm not 100% setup for a hard west wind. The stand I hunt is at the top of a draw, and the terrain falls off into a deep creek bed to the east pretty quickly. In addition to that, the stand I'm going to be hunting out of is fairly high, probably 20 feet. I'm going to hunt the stand regardless, but how much of an impact do you think scent would have in a situation like this? I've been in the stand multiple times before and have yet to be winded, even when deer approach from dead down wind, so I'm thinking that the terrain combined with the stand height is a good combo. With temps in the 40's I think it's the best place that I have to sit.

Do you think that there's a certain stand height that once you reach it, scent becomes less of an issue?

(And I do all the typical scent control stuff, wash clothes, etc....).

Just curious as to thoughts, trying to pass the day before I head to deer camp. Thanks.

I think you will be good. Haven't looked at wind speed for tomorrow though. With a steep drop off behind you, your scent is traveling far enough before dropping down and is probably dispersed anyway.

Most of my stands are around 15 feet and I don't normally have scent issues. Hunting the right wind and when it has some speed also helps. I really like it around 10mph. I wash my clothes and shower in scent free soap (the cheapest can find), brush my teeth with normal toothpaste and wear a non scent or natural scent deodorant. But I wear my hunting clothes in the truck, I am way more lax than some on scent control. Just try to hunt the right stand with the right wind.

The buck I shot a few weeks ago was from the ground and it was almost dead calm but the prevailing wind was from the West that night and he had no idea I was there since scent coming out of the blind was pushed down the draw away from him.

Top Bottom