Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

How in the HECK???? Field conversion??

stevep

So I've got a chance to turn 2 fields totaling 3 acres into food plots. Access is pretty good, but the equipment that I have available is fairly limited. I don't know all of my hay / grasses real well, so I'm not 100% sure what's in there now, but at this point... it's getting tall. Probably 3 foot tall by now.

SO, what's the best way for me to go about getting this to the Doubletree rotation? I have a 4-wheeler with a sprayer, and I have a pretty decent push mower... (46" DR mower). I have an old harrow that i can drag with the 4-wheeler and I have a cultipacker. The part I'm not sure about is how to get the existing stuff down to a point that I can have soil exposed... it's pretty thick.

A few side notes.. there's a small chance I might be able to get someone to bale it and get it out of there...not 100% sure about that. And side note #2 is that burning it scares the crap out of me....never have done a burn and don't know that I want to start now.

ANY THOUGHTS?????

Thanks.

Here's what it looks like at the moment... (and yes, the deer love it for bedding.... lots of beds...).

picture.php

picture.php

Last edited:
Do you have access to a drill? If so, you could spray and kill it. Once it is brown and dry, roll it to flatten it out and have your seed drilled into the debris. That will help retain moisture and by no-tilling, you wont be planting any weed seeds from grasses that have already headed out.

Not really, although I may be able to find one. Am I nuts to think that I could spray it, roll it down with the cultipacker and then broadcast into that? I know that I've seen a post or two on here where that was done???

Thanks.

Steve

Id go with air assault. That would probably be your best bet at this point uj the game.
Could always have it bailed and then spray and plant also. You will need to kill it off no matter what

If you can get it baled, even better. That will eliminate a lot of slop in your plots. Either way though, I would try to hire someone with the right equipment to get it plowed up. From there you can get by with the ATV for the most part. I'm in the same boat as you. I do have a small plow and a 4ft disc. Its OK for a really small plot, but get up over an acre and I'm usually looking to have a neighbor run through it with his tractor to at least bust up the soil. Huge time saver.

Nuke it with gly, than come back with fire to clear debris. Then work in up, wait two weeks, hit with Gly again, work it up, ready to plant in Aug.

That's what I'd do with the tools available, however, your best best is going to be to pay a neighbor to do it.

Not really, although I may be able to find one. Am I nuts to think that I could spray it, roll it down with the cultipacker and then broadcast into that? I know that I've seen a post or two on here where that was done???

Thanks.

Steve

I'm going to try it this year. Ive got some rye standing about head high right now. Will try to broadcast the seed right before a heavy rain so it works through the debris

Fire is your friend. With the right precautions it will be safe. I don't start a foodplot anymore without first burning (after spraying). It is SO much easier to work the ground up.

Interesting articles in NAW about the use of gly. I know our cows strongly prefer conventional crops.

I would get someone to harvest it. I know we would never turn down free or low cost feed even if its full of weeds. Throw out a local add. I know I have called on a few and they were snatched up right away. See if you can get someone to take it off then plow it for you in return. Good deal for both.

If you were super scared about fire couldnt you not spray the edges 5-8foot so they are still green? Itd slow the fire down atleast and leave bedding for the deer.

side note : Im purely an amateur, never had a food plot.

What - did somebody say fire? Depending on location and timing I could possibly help also. Who doesn't love the heat from a fire and the smell of smoke!

Thanks for all the offers. If you were close I'd probably take you up on it. Property is central / southern Illinois.

Top Bottom