Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

How late for Roundup?

Daver

PMA Member
I have about 3/4 of an acre that I sprayed in early September and although I haven't gone back to that spot to look at it my guess is that I got at least a partial kill on it. (It is long standing brome that I had mowed short in early August.)

Would it be advisable, if it isn't all brown already, to spray it again one more time this Fall or would it just be a waste of material?

I'm sure dbltree will chime in with a more definitive answer, but my guess would be to spray it again. Why? Brome is a very hardy grass. If you didn't get it killed with the first spray, it will take a heck of a freeze to send it dormant. It should still be growing and thus susceptible to herbicide.

Another aspect of this is what do you intend to do with this parcel? Do you need 100% burndown?

I don't know the "real" answer- but if you can still catch a warm spell for brome it might not be too late. You want the plant to be growing. I sprayed a patch too late a couple years ago and that was about Oct 1st. Brome is easier to kill in the fall than the spring if you hit it right. We ended up with another spring spraying and still having to clean it up again in June.
So if weather cooperates, maybe- otherwise I'd save the chemical.

[ QUOTE ]
Would it be advisable, if it isn't all brown already, to spray it again one more time this Fall or would it just be a waste of material?

[/ QUOTE ]

As long as it's green and growing I would nail it again. Looks like 60's maybe this week so it should be enough to finish it off. (assuming you don't find a complete kill when you check it)

If it's not a real large area Dave, it won't cost that much to hit it now and again in the spring (depending on what you are planting and when)

At any rate, if any of it is still green it's going to come back, so kill it until it's dead! Only thing harder to kill then brome, is fescue. Did you use surfactant with the glyphosate?

Roundup Max already contains surfactant but most generic glyphosate does not and that can make a big difference on hard to kill grasses.

You can get surfactant locally (like Golden Furrow in Eldon) but here's what your looking for:

SURFACTANT

I think what I used was the Roundup Max, I know it wasn't a generic version but the actual brand Roundup and I think I remember seeing the word Max on the jug. I threw it away though since was empty.

The plan is for clover in this area. We'll hit her again...

Certainly not to late.... Just a couple tips here from a lot of experience...

Fall grass control with Roundup is always going to be better at 1 1/2 or 2 quarts per acre compared to 1 quart.

Make sure you have added AMS...the great masses of folks don't read labels and many who do think AMS, Crop Oil, and Surfactant are interchangeable and they all are the same..WRONG...AMS will increase the resulting kill dramatically on Fescue and on Brome and even more in the fall.

Fall applications work slower...look at the leaf tips for a yellowing..thats the sign you are getting activity.

[ QUOTE ]
Make sure you have added AMS

[/ QUOTE ]

Good point HM! I have never used AMS mostly because we have Rural water that does not have high iron content (hard water)

I've also never had an incomplete kill on brome but I've always made sure I mowed it and waited until it was actively growing and used the maximum rates as HM reccomends.

If your spraying a 1/2 acre...hitting it with the max amounts, even twice might be easier. If your killing a large amount to convert brome to a CP-25 mix then I wouldn't spare any effort according to the labels...which means adding AMS.

There is no doubt however that AMS will help with difficult to kill weeds and grasses, it's just a pain to mix and can plug spray nozzles.

There are some newer liquid solutions that I understand will work just as well as AMS (ammonium sulfate)

Alliance

More info on Alliance

Adding AMS to Roundup

Comparing glyphosate

As usual, great advice, thanks. I did get to look at the sprayed area this afternoon and it is mostly brown now. I apparently missed a couple of areas though that could use a little more poison. Thanks.

Top Bottom