Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

HOW LONG LIVE? Stomach & maybe liver- PIC!!!

They got dog to track later. The shot is for sure a bit further back than pic makes look. Just cause the leg is pulled back if u look close. Yep- that’s fletching. He filmed it so we paused it at impact.

One wild card…. The buck (this pic does NOT do this Justice)…. 6-8 years old. He’s got a huge body. Well, as we know…. Rutted up huge bucks are just “hard to kill”. 30 years into this - they still amaze me what they can take or how far they go. One I shot last year that was a 7 yo buck…. Double lung. Full pass through, 1.5” 3 blade. Entrance and exit devastating!!!! Blood loss, crazy….. he still made it 300-350 yards. I can’t explain that other than they just brutally tough.
Will update soon. Thx all!!!!!

I had to get a tracking dog 4-5 years ago , was told 18-24 hours on a hit like that . Deer will usually be inside of 100 Yards . I looked for mine 6 hours later and jumped it hence the reason I had to get a dog . It was a liver hit .. Deer went another 150 yards after I jumped it. I learned my Lesson .. Lucky I recovered it.

What I notice… Given leg is back it appears like a decent shot until you look at rib line, it is back AND LOW. What we see in pic is entry hole so exit is lower yet as it appears the shooter is in a tree. Lungs could be at that line but only on top third of body as diaphragm angles up and back. Good thing is we are not to the crazy adrenaline charged seeking/chasing phase so I’d expect to find him at 100 -150 yards bedded and dead here after daylight if he was headed toward any cover after shot and not bumped by hunter, other deer or coyotes before he got to feeling sick. Hopefully he slowed down and stopped then slowly walked off. Typically find two to three beds fairly close to where they expire. Just MO.

Figured I would post a pic to maybe help with assessing the shot. I think we can all learn from these instances especially with how long a specific shot placement took to recover the deer. Good luck with finding the deer today. I was always told to shoot right behind the leg but the more I have processed deer and looked at images the more I realize I need to aim further forward and above the leg when the deer is perfectly broadside. As was previously mentioned the deer's diaphram will move just like ours and the lungs will expand and deflate as the deer is breathing and based on the above image it is understandable with the leg being back how the shot might have hit stomach and just missed the lungs. Regardless this deer is dead but if the deer was pushed by coyotes it can make for a long stressful track.

Just a FWIW...the OP indicated that they found stomach matter...which to me automatically means that the shot is "back", hence my advice. The pic says "dead deer", but maybe not real quickly, IMO.

I will also say that those "mid body" shots can be deceptive as to whether you got lungs/diaphragm/liver...or not. I COMPLETELY agree with Whitetail_obsession above...most guys would be far better off, all things equal, by aiming about 4"-5" further forward, as the illustration above shows.

They got dog to track later. The shot is for sure a bit further back than pic makes look. Just cause the leg is pulled back if u look close. Yep- that’s fletching. He filmed it so we paused it at impact.

One wild card…. The buck (this pic does NOT do this Justice)…. 6-8 years old. He’s got a huge body. Well, as we know…. Rutted up huge bucks are just “hard to kill”. 30 years into this - they still amaze me what they can take or how far they go. One I shot last year that was a 7 yo buck…. Double lung. Full pass through, 1.5” 3 blade. Entrance and exit devastating!!!! Blood loss, crazy….. he still made it 300-350 yards. I can’t explain that other than they just brutally tough.
Will update soon. Thx all!!!!!
Shot a big buck (older and huge body) a few years ago. Hit him just inside the back leg (hard quartering) and then blew out the opposite front leg with a slug. Had to have hit a lung and his front leg was busted up terrible !

So the slug went through most of the middle of his body. He went 300-400 yards …and was still alive the next day.??

He couldn’t move . But he was alive ! They are tough !!!

Dad hit one where you showed in the picture Skip, except it was quartering too. That buck took us nearly 24 hours to find and we got real lucky grid searching to stumble on him in a terrace in a cut corn field. Pure luck we actually found him. He got one lung and liver and guts on the way out. If the buck had been broadside or quartering too that scenario would've looked a whole lot different I'm sure. I bet you're sitting next to a dead deer right now. ; )

Well damn. Good luck. Sometime if you have any free time and want to, post up a few seconds of that video showing the whole shot. Always learning...

We searched. Lost blood. 400 yards of blood. Crazy!!!!!!!!
Dog tonight after hunt. Grid if that doesn’t work.
When did you start the search? Any beds?

At this point, it's dead. I'd look, listen for crows over the next few days after the coyotes get to it if the dog doesn't find it.

GOOSE EGG!!!!! Tracked him about 800 yards and blood dried up. Tried dogs, Group of guys looking, etc. I never get surprised at what bucks can survive or stump me. This one was classic “he has to be dead. No way could he make it over 400 yards”. Sucks. I suspect he gets found in shed season. I see no way on how he survived.

GOOSE EGG!!!!! Tracked him about 800 yards and blood dried up. Tried dogs, Group of guys looking, etc. I never get surprised at what bucks can survive or stump me. This one was classic “he has to be dead. No way could he make it over 400 yards”. Sucks. I suspect he gets found in shed season. I see no way on how he survived.
Do you have cameras in area. Maybe he’ll show up. That would be a miracle. But ya never know.

Top Bottom