Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

How many acres have you lost?

I see people on here getting angry at each other, making judgements about someone they hardly know because of each one's passion for hunting. I can see the point of view from each side I guess and it's a bad situation.

I know that many people want to hunt Iowa,....maybe Iowa should blame itself for that. After all they have pumped up deer hunting in their state, have big banquets (whitetail classic) to promote deer hunting in their state. We have big deer here too, but alot of hunters haven't heard of Saskatchewan despite Milo Hanson's buck. Whitetail celebrations and banquets are unheard of here, we don't promote deer hunting at all. I'm not saying that is a good thing but we get less than 5000 hunters from out of province in Canada here a year, and our province is huge.

Before blaming the non resident maybe some people should step back and look at what else has made hunting land in Iowa in such demand. Here we have a cap on the # of outfitters and tags, is there one there? They also can only operate on public land, obviously not in Iowa. Maybe having a look at how the outfitters can operate is a better place to start on the situation than deemeng the non resident a bad guy. I'm sorry if I offended anybody but I really think that the massive promotion of whitetails in Iowa and the way their outfitters are allowed to operate are more to blame than the non resident. I know I'm not as educated as everybody else on this particular subject, I just hate to see people judging others and getting angry at each other bases on their respective love for the sport.

First off, to answer the original question, zero, so far. I hope it stays that way. Another point in answer to someone's question/statement re: funding for the DNR. The fact is that some sections of the DNR do recieve tax dollars. I'm not sure which sections but it isn't Fish and Game.(maybe water quality?)
Now for the arguement that has ensued. I agree that everyone involved is passionate about the same thing;hunting. It pains me to see this dissolve into name calling etc. when we all love the same thing. There is no one underlying cause of current and potential future troubles re:deer hunting/land access but there are many. I think we can discuss these without calling out our hunting brothers who may disagree with us.In the end we all desire the same thing, a great hunting experience. That can currently be enjoyed in Iowa and thus many residents want to see things stay the same. Some NR want changes so they can get here more often and some NR landowners want to hunt their own land every year and have the ability to take a big buck. Bottom line is we all want the same thing and there are many potential problems and just as many solutions. Let's see if we can discuss them all without getting personal. Remember, come Oct. 1st we'll all be on the same page again. Maggs

Saskguy, nicely put. I think you have a seriously valid point about the promotion of Iowa Whitetail hunting. It makes me cringe every time I see someone hunting Iowa on every single deer hunting video I buy. It only adds fuel to the fire. If it wasn't promoted so much then maybe this issue wouldn't be as large as it is. I remember another post like this...coom-by-yah.......
grin.gif

Timberpig, every state in this country offers ALL the services you mention, roads, schools, and etc. AND all but one, has MORE public land than IOWA. Dont you agree that something is wrong with that??? I just as soon keep my money. I dont know if I would buy a tag for $1000 if it were offered. I doubt it. Maggs, you are exactly right, I cannot even offer a POSSIBLE solution or SUGGESTION on here without sending someone into a total rectal eclipse. Its not like anything I say is going to happen anyway.

Top Bottom