Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

How many welcome Outfitters in Iowa???

:(commercialization of anything has the potential of ruining it forever.
I agree, but you will never get that answer from THA4. If you have the money and power you can do what you want, it is a free country. Again like someone posted he make his living from the industry. All those ads from outfitters in the magazines he writes for pays the bills.

Last edited:
I think we should create laws to prohibit and even punish people who choose to work and "pay the bills" in the outdoor industry :confused:

I think we should create laws to prohibit and even punish people who choose to work and "pay the bills" in the outdoor industry :confused:

Wapsi,

I sense some sarcasm here. :D

I think it is a great topic of discussion and has been a great topic IMO.

I personally think that the commercialization of it is gonna kill hunting as we know it for our kids. It will be a rich man's sport before I pass from here.

Usually when money is involved people get greedy and lazy and with a natural resource like deer the quality will be fade unless you are lucky enough to own your own and then it is not guaranteed.

I would not want to live next to an outfitter because unless he is very ethical he needs to produce or his clientle will go elsewhere with their money. A lot of the clientle do not care about size or quality but just a rack.
I do not want my land anywhere near that type of setup. IMO. :(

We have outfitters on three sides of us and you could say all four if your willing to skip over one piece.

While they do kill a few bucks the mega bucks still avoid those neighbor areas like the plague because of the extra pressure. The second the hunting season starts the big guys flock to our property.

Then there is normally only half the effort put in by the outfitter compared to a a normal average Joe because hes got way too much ground to know or cover any of it to the point of really knowing the ground.

Finally we just setup the best sanctuary we can and wait out the big guys, having a area that NEVER NEVER NEVER gets messed with unless we are recovering a deer pays off over and over and over again.

The one thing is we do have land in what I would call a super neighborhood and have the best of it locked up for ourselves through tons of hard work and sacafrice to get where we are today. None of it was given to us or handed to us on silver platter. Not every one can make this happen I understand, but I sacrificed other things and sometimes struggle in between paychecks just so I can make my dreams happen.

So bottom line outfitter or not it really doesn't matter if you have the right situation.

We have outfitters hunt our fence lines non stop and you can watch the (big deer) deer trails go around these areas as a norm.

Sometimes we wonder if we should bring in a group of guys for a one week a year bow hunt to help in paying the bills on the properties, cabin, equipment, fertilizer and food plot seed, but at the end of the day I would rather donate a hunt to the make a wish foundation for a kid or disabled vet before I sold out and commercialized our sport even more.

I agree with Risto. Unfortunately I now live across the road from such a set up. Guys from down south allowed to pay big price to hunt deer. No management at all. Every buck is big to them. Ironically, Land was a wildlife refuge when I bought mine. Was advertized as that to me. A great spot to own land next to.,,year latter everything changed, as everything seems to. Saw parcels of adjoining properties were to be sold at auction last weekend down the road. Sure they were grabbed up for more hunting.

The one thing is we do have land in what I would call a super neighborhood and have the best of it locked up for ourselves through tons of hard work and sacafrice to get where we are today. None of it was given to us or handed to us on silver platter. Not every one can make this happen I understand, but I sacrificed other things and sometimes struggle in between paychecks just so I can make my dreams happen.

So bottom line outfitter or not it really doesn't matter if you have the right situation.

We have outfitters hunt our fence lines non stop and you can watch the (big deer) deer trails go around these areas as a norm.

Sometimes we wonder if we should bring in a group of guys for a one week a year bow hunt to help in paying the bills on the properties, cabin, equipment, fertilizer and food plot seed, but at the end of the day I would rather donate a hunt to the make a wish foundation for a kid or disabled vet before I sold out and commercialized our sport even more.

Congratulations on making all your hard work payoff seriously.

I do disagree though anyone can make it happen just like you did but it will take a lot and I mean a lot of hard work.

There is no getting around hard work.

I have thought about the very same thing about bringing people in but as soon as it becomes a job I will end up regretting it.
Much better time taking kids or physically challenged people that might not get a chance otherwise.

I can not comment on the original question of Outfitters in Iowa because I dont have any experience with outfitters. I hunt ground that most on here wouldn't even bother walking thru let alone hanging a stand.

What concerns me is the ammount of posts and threads that are anti anything that has to do with making a buck in the outdoor industry. :confused:

I may be wrong here but Outfittters and leasing hunting ground have been around for a long time in the south and it would be interesting to get some perspective from a few southern IW members. Im pretty sure there are a few regular contributers.

I love all ya'll, even the THA4 Haters.... :moon: I'm really the Devil wearing camo....

:grin:

What concerns me is the ammount of posts and threads that are anti anything that has to do with making a buck in the outdoor industry. :confused:

Does making that buck in the outdoor industry scare you at all for the future of our kids and hunting??

• Deleted by N/A
Show…
Does making that buck in the outdoor industry scare you at all for the future of our kids and hunting??

I can honestly say no it does not. I am not seeing what most of you guys are and yes my eyes are open in part because I pay attention to what is talked about on IW.

I still knock on doors and offer help to the land owners and that hasnt changed since I my dad did it years ago. There is no disputing that there are more hunters now than back 15 -20 years ago but then again I am one of those hunters. I didn't start to bowhunt until I was in my mid 30's and regret not starting earlier.

I know I am getting off track here but the fact is most of us are supporting what people are ranting about. Everytime we purchase that new accessory, bow, tree stand or new gun we are supporting the "outdoor industry" and helping it grow (outfitters included). I personally dont have a problem with that but it seems alot of people do.

Who would a thought a thread started by Crockett would last 54 post and not get deleted :D

I don't think you need the boys from down south opinions. Just ask the Illinois boys how it's going.

But do you think that the Illinois DNR and the Iowa DNR are the same? Isnt it much easier for a NR to get a tag to hunt in Illinois? and dont you think the ease of getting a tag is what separates Iowa and Illinois? Im just asking.

• Deleted by N/A
Show…
I can honestly say no it does not. I am not seeing what most of you guys are and yes my eyes are open in part because I pay attention to what is talked about on IW.

I still knock on doors and offer help to the land owners and that hasnt changed since I my dad did it years ago. There is no disputing that there are more hunters now than back 15 -20 years ago but then again I am one of those hunters. I didn't start to bowhunt until I was in my mid 30's and regret not starting earlier.

I know I am getting off track here but the fact is most of us are supporting what people are ranting about. Everytime we purchase that new accessory, bow, tree stand or new gun we are supporting the "outdoor industry" and helping it grow (outfitters included). I personally dont have a problem with that but it seems alot of people do.

Thank you for your honest reply.

I also knock on doors plus own my own. I do agree that the hard working individual can find land somewhere to hunt just by a hand shake and shaking trees.

I have also seen hundreds of acres I used to be able to hunt slowly dwindle as the years go by from what we have discussed here.

When money can be made someone will ruin it for the rest.

Well its settled! All outfitters will be shot on sight!!! Or maybe the state of Iowa should tax them say 75% and use that money to support the adjoining landowners. :)

I welcome keeping our NR tag allocation at the level it is. That is the only thing that will keep outfitters in check. Can't get tags, can't run a business.

Top Bottom