Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

How Old?

jjohnson

This guy decided he'd come to the mineral this week and do some poses. He'll get a free pass but I'm wondering if he's a great 2 1/2 year old or is he 3 1/2. It's pretty hard to know for sure. He's got a real small body and his face looks real young (long narrow nose).

The buck in the first pic looks beefier so use him for comparison. Either way the little guy's gonna be neat. He's starting a G-4 on his right side. It almost looks like it will go in instead of up too. Pretty cool buck for sure.

The big guy stopped by the mineral twice last week both times were at night and he snuck in got two pictures taken of him and he scrammed. All four pics were blurry. Go figure.
MDGC0245.jpg

MDGC0313.jpg

MDGC0315.jpg

MDGC0320.jpg

MDGC0323.jpg

MDGC0321.jpg

I disagree......

It's very had to judge age this time of year based on their body.

Look at his head shape...

Can't tell much from the body this time of the year, but from the upward swing of the rack, I'd have to go 2.5. But for some reason, if I were looking at just body and no rack, I think I would guess 3.5+.

I would say that second buck is more than likely 3.5. He will fill out a lot come fall and will look older than 2.5 IMO.

It's hard to tell, but I would say 3.5+. He has a big chest, scrawny hind end. Plus his head looks long. Who knows though. Looks like an older deer to me with crappy genetics.

Thanks for the replies guys. I guess time will tell. Hopefully he'll stick around and so we can see him later on. My first guess was 3.5 but I'm not so sure he's not a 2.5. I can't find any pics of him from last year so he either relocated or maybe he's a 2.5 that grew a lot from last year. Who Knows...

Based on body and antler I tend to want to agree with the 2.5 number but experience has told me he could easily be twice that. Ghost points out the head shape and size, this feature looks much more mature. Longer . Every deer is different. I took a 4.5 last year on New Years Eve that looked like this guy in many ways.

Top Bottom