Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

How to handle Ragweed in CRP mix

JBAGS

Wondering what you experts think is the best way to handle this 2nd year stand that was planted on my farm last spring. Mix is Big blue, little blue, indiangrass, cave in rock switch i believe. As you can see, it's littered with what I think is ragweed but I'm not certain. Open to suggestions on what do, if anything.

Attachments

• 20230610_152453.JPG
    20230610_152453.JPG
    146.4 KB · Views: 40
  • 20230610_152511.JPG
    20230610_152511.JPG
    151.6 KB · Views: 40
  • 20230610_152502.JPG
    20230610_152502.JPG
    145.7 KB · Views: 39
Is there forbs in your CRP mix?

If not (or you don't care if you kill them) you can spray it with broadleaf herbicide. Check out duracor. 2,4d is another option

Is there forbs in your CRP mix?

If not (or you don't care if you kill them) you can spray it with broadleaf herbicide. Check out duracor. 2,4d is another option
In think there are some forbs in there that I would rather not kill.
How about mowing it, or did I miss the window on doing that?

it's crowding out my newly planted CRP. Im not trying to grow ragweed
Ragweed is darn near the perfect plant for all sorts of wildlife. I understand cover is limited FOR DEER, but not for many other wildlife species (specifically poults).

To me it doesn't look like it's smothering out the grasses.

I'd prefer a field with that many forbs in it to go along with the native grasses.
Ok, so you would leave it be and just let it grow for a few years and then see what I have?

Ragweed is darn near the perfect plant for all sorts of wildlife. I understand cover is limited FOR DEER, but not for many other wildlife species (specifically poults).
So again, you would leave it be and see what happens in a few years?
This farm is in E Central Kansas just for reference.

I don't disagree with others, Ragweed is great for wildlife. However, if your goal is native grasses, mow it. Looks like some grasses are keeping up with it, though I can't tell what species or if native vs annual warm season. If you choose to mow, no need to scalp it. 10-12 inches and it might release more grass without totally eliminating a valuable native annual.

Sent from my SM-A505U using Tapatalk

So again, you would leave it be and see what happens in a few years?
This farm is in E Central Kansas just for reference.
Yep. Especially E Central Ks. I don't foresee the ragweed taking over the NWSG stand...in fact the opposite. Prescribed fire and dormant season discing may be in your future to help keep the forbes around.

@letemgrow nailed it.

If you are only in the second year of establishment, I would clip it again at least once this year, especially if you have forbs in the mix. I would stay away from herbicide in the establishment period. As for disturbance during the nesting season, that does not apply during establishment, you can mow any time in the first three years.

Top Bottom