Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

How to make a property thicker

Iowa Bucks

I would like some input on how to take a property with a lot of open timber(but not thick ground cover) and make the property thicker so it's more appealing to deer allowing them to bed and remain on the property.

Read dbltree forum on hinge cutting and bedding areas. That would be top notch for any timber. If ur around Des Moines gimme a holler. There's also posts on timber stand improvement in the dbltree habitat section last- look at switchgrass section & native grasses or mixes with Forbs. I'd be direct seeding in areas as well as tree plantings. So- sorry- my short answer just got long. There's a lot to it but bottom line, step 1 will involve a lot of education & a chainsaw.

Read dbltree forum on hinge cutting and bedding areas. That would be top notch for any timber. If ur around Des Moines gimme a holler. There's also posts on timber stand improvement in the dbltree habitat section last- look at switchgrass section & native grasses or mixes with Forbs. I'd be direct seeding in areas as well as tree plantings. So- sorry- my short answer just got long. There's a lot to it but bottom line, step 1 will involve a lot of education & a chainsaw.

Skip nailed it, I would only add that once you have read through the threads he recommended...I would then reread them at least once.

Also, get a map of your place and create a plan, don't just go "sawing" willy-nilly. If you tear off without knowing what you are doing, you could really regret it later.

If a guy didn't have time to do it himself is there anyone on here that does it?Whatwould it cost to do say 20 acres. And people on here that have done it did it achieve the desired results

If a guy didn't have time to do it himself is there anyone on here that does it?Whatwould it cost to do say 20 acres. And people on here that have done it did it achieve the desired results

The chainsaw is the best way to make open timber more appealing by releasing good crop trees, killing junk trees and opening up the canopy to release forb growth for more browse and cover.

No other habitat/food plot improvement comes close when it comes to bang for your buck of TSI IMO.

Contact local nrcs they will pay u to do it yourself or help cover cost to pay someone else. Forester will come out and mark timber for you. I did 50 acres over last 3 years on my farm received around 3k from work plus it's fun

If it was my ground.. I'd definitely would look into Dbltrees threads.. I would really thinkg about planting warm grasses and evergreens/cedars trees.. They are deer magnets in winter time..

Chip, Dbltree's son Jesse definitely does this type of work, I am sure there are others to be found too. I am not up to date on pricing/costs per acre, but I am fairly certain that you could get cost share that cover 1/2 to 3/4 of the cost.

If ur in SE Iowa. Absolutely call Jesse!!!! If u r by Des Moines- I'd likely do it as I don't mind taking on a few projects a year.

Alot of reading, looking at some before and after pics of properties that have benefited and if possible, go visit a property where bedding has been created.
We started doing it around 2008 and it has made a world of difference.
Have a solid plan. Wind, entry/exit, travel routes, line of sight, food plot location, ect. Measure 15 times and cut once.
Learn what trees are valuable to both you and the deer and what to cut to create bedding and open the canopy.
Its a learning curve for sure.
If you want to have a consult with someone to shorten your planning process shoot me a pm and I can get you in touch with some fellas that have been at it a long time, they could give you an idea on prices or a consult for your property.
Get to know your saw and know it well, safety first. Hinge cutting isnt for everyone and can be dangerous

You should contact fsa office and ask about REAP program. I signed up 40 ac block this summer and they pay 140 an acre for the work. You can do it or farm it out to someone to complete. Please me if you want to talk.

You should contact fsa office and ask about REAP program. I signed up 40 ac block this summer and they pay 140 an acre for the work. You can do it or farm it out to someone to complete. Please me if you want to talk.

We're you happy with the results did the deer take to the new cover pretty quickly?

Chip
I have not done it on this farm yet but I have on others.

The cool thing is when your neighbors do nothing and you make all these improvements like food, crp and timber work. You will become the spot deer want to be.

Chip I have not done it on this farm yet but I have on others. The cool thing is when your neighbors do nothing and you make all these improvements like food, crp and timber work. You will become the spot deer want to be.

They already want to be where the food is.....I know an A-1 farm for sale in Marion county if atone is interested!

We're you happy with the results did the deer take to the new cover pretty quickly?

If you do it right, they will instantly be in it. Usually 2-3 years before it really gets crazy but if you do it right, results are extremely fast and unbelievable difference.

I have seen deer get into an area where I was hinge cutting within a matter of hours after I finished. Perhaps those were NOT the most mature or wary specimens in the woods, but even the big boys and girls will take right to it. If you are dropping hinges now you are also putting fresh browse down where they can reach it, it's like the old phrase from the movie..."If you hinge it, they will come." :D

Last edited:
Sligh,
What do you mean by crazy ??

If you do hinge cutting, those trees are now sprouting all over the place and will have grown into a jungle. The areas where you opened up the sunlight to lots of areas on the forest floor - those areas will now be 3-4' tall with all sorts of new growth - everything from oak regeneration to blackberry/raspberry bushes.

So, a few years and things really get thick, nasty, grown up - all competing for that new sunlight. But, the act of simply hinging, opening things up for one season and putting some trees on the ground will make a very fast difference as well.

Top Bottom