Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

how to rid land of a pack of mangy dogs

Buck-Man

I have a friend who lives in a very rural area and needs some help on eradicating a group of approx 20 dogs that have no owners and stay in his woods (approx 250 acres)and kill deer ,foxes,quail ,his own dog and whatever they can find. They havent killed any cows yet.
all of them are mutts ,have mange ,sickly animals. eyes closed up , limping,
He doesnt hunt and is in no shape to walk through the woods ,let alone feels safe there.
any help i could pass along to quickly and effectively rid these animals from his land would be greatly appreciated

I would suggest that he put a small ad in his local paper. He would probably get someone/group interested and yes he should have it cleared by the DNR.

I have no idea how to do this but you can have advise from someone.Are you looking for Zhu zhu hamster toy rocky.Zhu zhu are getting famous these days.

Last edited by a moderator:
Had the same problem in my area about 10 years ago and my neighbor did lose about 4-5 calves to the dogs. Took an organized dog hunt to get most of them and then cleaned up a couple of stragglers a few months later. Not pretty but they can become very destructive when they go feral. A friend of mine was out bowhunting and was confronted by them on the way to stand (about 12-15 animals) and it was a pretty frightening experience (complete with the need for a new pair of drawers on his part!). Probably a good idea to place a call to the DNR but I don't believe it is a requirement in Iowa if they are a threat to your property on your own land.

Kill em all, let Lassie sort them out!

These handy items will work! :rolleyes:

However, I agree with Shredder, the DNR should be contacted, good luck and keep us posted please.

s7_229618_imageset_01
picture.php

Gun with scope might help. Is there any poison they would only hurt the dogs and not deer? Maybe gopher poison?

Probably the legally best thing to do would be to get the DNR involved. But he better have neighbors and such to help support his stories.

What I would do would be to put out the word/ad something for a local trapper. Put a bounty on them, might get expensive at $25 a piece but its quick cash that I think a trapper in the off season would jump at.

Probably the legally best thing to do would be to get the DNR involved. But he better have neighbors and such to help support his stories.

What I would do would be to put out the word/ad something for a local trapper. Put a bounty on them, might get expensive at $25 a piece but its quick cash that I think a trapper in the off season would jump at.
I don't think it's legal to set traps in the off season.

In addition to the DNR, you can also try to contact the local APHIS Wildlife Services office (NOT, repeat NOT the U.S Fish and Wildlife Service; we get that association too frequently). They are the Dept of Ag agency that was formely Animal Damage Control. They specialize in that arena and frequently remove feral dogs, coyotes, etc. that are depredating livestock and game animals.

dogs

Wild dogs cornered a bow hunter coming in from his stand near my farm in Minnesota and he called the game warden immediately. Several dogs were shot by the warden with some "local" help as well. They were in rough shape. I had a few on my trail cameras, the dogs were definitely pushing deer out of our area. I'm glad they are gone, I'm sure the same thing is happening on this guys land.

Wild dogs will definetly pushed deer out. The humane thing to do with mangy wild dogs is to take em out on any occasion you have. Will rat or gopher poison hurt deer if you put either one of these out?

Top Bottom