Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

HSB 48 - More Authority to DNR Director

ElkHunter

Life Member
HSB 48
This study bill is too long to post, but I wanted to show the explanation. It will do away with both commissions and give that power to DNR Director, without the ability for any public input. If you would like to read complete bill use link below

http://coolice.legis.state.ia.us/Cool-ICE/default.asp?Category=billinfo&Service=Billbook&menu=false&hbill=HSB48

1 EXPLANATION
2 This bill relates to rulemaking authority of the department
3 of natural resources.
4 Currently, the environmental protection commission and the
5 natural resources commission both have rulemaking authority
6 for Code chapters administered by the department of natural
7 resources. The bill transfers the rulemaking authority for
8 both commissions to the director of the department of natural
9 resources. The bill makes conforming amendments.
10 The bill takes effect upon enactment.

Below are how some of the lobbyist and the stance their groups have taken.

Don Petersen
For IA. Farm Bureau Federation JANUARY 31, 2011 14:31:53

James Obradovich
Against IA. Environmental Council JANUARY 31, 2011 18:48:58

Joe Johnson

Martin Schwager

Matthew Steinfeldt
For IA. Farm Bureau Federation
F. ThorntonFor Friends of IA. Land Owners and Sportsmen

Don BrazeltonAgainst IA. Bowhunters Assn.

This goes through and you can kiss this state goodbye. Randy, who gets to actually vote on this? Who do people need to be contacting?

Last edited:
This is just getting crazy. These people don't have a fricken clue. I'm so pissed off at these bills it makes me sick thinking about what could happen if they pass...

No surprise on the stances as the current DNR director has a Farm Bureau history. The FB wants every deer in Iowa dead. Short of that, they want the farmers to benefit from leasing their properties. This is ALL about money.

We do not need a DNR dictator. Putting all the power in one position goes against so many principles. What happened to having input from all "share holders"? If there was ever a reason to contact your representatives, this is IT!!!

I can't see anything positive coming out of this. It's not even an elected position, so much for Iowa residents having any say.

This bill, if passed, will be a disaster for the future of deer hunting in Iowa.

It is the responsibility of the Iowa resident to protect this state from its government.

Please contact your state representatives right away and let them know how you feel about this proposed bill and several others proposed bills that are attempting to ruin the heritage of deer hunting in this great state.

Our children desire better!

Keep up with legislative bills here: http://www.iowawhitetailsforever.com/

Animated-Flag-Iowa.gif

All I can say is the contents of this bill unbelievable or unconscionable. I must confess my ignorance can someone explain what a House study bill is or where I can find that information. thanks

Why isn't this bill getting as much attn? Just backdoor legislation to get more NR deer tags IMO. Emails sent to the whole environmental protection commitee.

A response from Tom Sands

with all due respect, your assesment of the bill is incorrect. Yes the power of the state-govenerment is within its people. But the bill removes the rule making autority from the EPC, NRC, which are out of control and have no accountability to the people.

Tom Sands

I hope there are many others making their voice heard on this issue. That response is not what I had hoped to see.

But the bill removes the rule making autority from the EPC, NRC, which are out of control and have no accountability to the people.
My response to Tom would be;
Can't argue your point about being out of control, but is it better to have the rule making in the hands of a committee or in the hands of an individual.

Both are appointed by the Governor. Either way the public gets limited input.

Our governor believes Iowa has too many environmental rules for agriculture and industry. I don't have enough information to make a decision on that. Maybe these commissions have become too full of themselves, not enough info on that either. But to give rule-making authority to one man, appointed by the governor, who is only accountable to the man who appointed him, just doesn't smell right. We need a little check and balance to the whole thing. When the bill comes out we'll know more.

Top Bottom